Equations for Success: Essential Math Concepts for College and Beyond

• Thread starter Tyrion101
  • Start date
In summary, In order to be a successful EE major, you need to know Probability and Statistics, Calculus, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, and Boolean Algebra.
Tyrion101
I'm finishing up "intermediate algebra" and want to supplement the "college algebra " class that is focused more on business type math, with things I'll see later. What should I be concentrating my energies on learning?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Simply put, adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing are the basics of all math...even calculus.

As far as algebra, what you do to one side of the equation, you do to the other side.
Think of it like this: If you have 5 oranges on a table with another 5 oranges on a table you could say they are equal. If you take away 2 oranges from the one group of oranges and you want the other group to be equal, you must take away 2 oranges from that pile as well. That's it in a nutshell...algebra.

As far as what you should concentrate your "energies" on...you didn't say what you are majoring in...electrical engineering?

Well if you're going into business then it would be quite useful to know Probability and Statistics over Calculus. Although both would be better.

Whatever you learn now, remember that in the coming decades the things you forget first are the things you learned last so learn as much as you can, for as long as you can, before you forget why you're learning it...

We'll I thought it obvious that since I asked in the EE forum that I was looking for equations specific to EE. Was I wrong in my logic?

Tyrion101 said:
We'll I thought it obvious that since I asked in the EE forum that I was looking for equations specific to EE. Was I wrong in my logic?

I didn't notice what forum you posted in, I saw the reference to 'business' in your post so now I guess you need to learn Calculus, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Boolean Algebra... to cover EE math.

Tyrion101 said:
I'm finishing up "intermediate algebra" and want to supplement the "college algebra " class that is focused more on business type math, with things I'll see later. What should I be concentrating my energies on learning?

Tyrion101 said:

To be honest, I was confused by your questions as well. Are you in high school, taking AP and college prep classes, or are you already in your first year at college? If the later, what other classes are you taking?

I'm just about to finish up my second semester of math, and I found out the next class I signed up for focuses more on business than on science, but still works as a pre rec (I had schedule conflicts with the other choice) I was wondering if there were equations in "college algebra" or in any other maths that I could learn on my own that might be skipped that would be useful later when I get to EE courses. Does that make more sense?

Tyrion101 said:
I'm just about to finish up my second semester of math, and I found out the next class I signed up for focuses more on business than on science, but still works as a pre rec (I had schedule conflicts with the other choice) I was wondering if there were equations in "college algebra" or in any other maths that I could learn on my own that might be skipped that would be useful later when I get to EE courses. Does that make more sense?

Sorry, you are in your first year of college on an EE track, and you are still taking algebra classes? That doesn't make sense to me...

It's a long story.

Tyrion101 said:
It's a long story.

Okay, but you've been starting a lot of threads like this. Maybe PM me in case I can help better in private.

Related to Equations for Success: Essential Math Concepts for College and Beyond

1. What are the most basic equations every scientist should know?

The most basic equations every scientist should know are the equations for linear motion (d = vt), Newton's second law (F = ma), and the equation for work (W = Fd).

2. What are the most important equations for understanding electricity and magnetism?

The most important equations for understanding electricity and magnetism are Ohm's law (V = IR), Gauss's law (Φ = q/ε₀), and Faraday's law (ε = -N ΔΦ/Δt).

3. What equations are essential for studying thermodynamics?

The essential equations for studying thermodynamics are the first law of thermodynamics (ΔU = Q - W), the ideal gas law (PV = nRT), and the Carnot cycle equation (η = 1 - Tc/Th).

4. What are the key equations for understanding quantum mechanics?

The key equations for understanding quantum mechanics are the Schrödinger equation (iħ ∂/∂t ψ = Ĥψ), the Heisenberg uncertainty principle (ΔxΔp ≥ ħ/2), and the wave function normalization equation (∫|ψ(x)|² dx = 1).

5. What equations are important for studying general relativity?

The important equations for studying general relativity are Einstein's field equations (Gᵐⁿ = 8πTᵐⁿ), the Schwarzschild metric (ds² = -(1-2GM/rc²)dt² + dr²/(1-2GM/rc²) + r²dΩ²), and the geodesic equation (d²xᵐ/dτ² + Γᵐⁿˢ dxⁿ/dτ dxˢ/dτ = 0).