Energy Stored Charge Configuration w/ Picture

In summary, the amount of work required to assemble this charge configuration is proportional to kq^2/L, with a value of 0 J. This is because the charges were initially infinitely far apart and therefore did not require any work to be brought into position.
PeachBanana

Homework Statement

If you calculate W, the amount of work it took to assemble this charge configuration if the point charges were initially infinitely far apart, you will find that the contribution for each charge is proportional to kq^2/L. In the space provided, enter the numeric value that multiplies the above factor, in W.

Homework Equations

Vba = Vb - Va = -Wba / q

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to sum the electric potentials to find the electric potential at one point. The potential due to charge A before "B" is placed there is:

kq / L

The potential due to charge B before "C" is placed is:

where I'm having problems. It states the point charges were initially infinitely far apart so I'm not sure how that affects "L."

Attachments

• Physics.jpg
    Physics.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 666
Physics news on Phys.org
PeachBanana said:

Homework Statement

If you calculate W, the amount of work it took to assemble this charge configuration if the point charges were initially infinitely far apart, you will find that the contribution for each charge is proportional to kq^2/L. In the space provided, enter the numeric value that multiplies the above factor, in W.

Homework Equations

Vba = Vb - Va = -Wba / q

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to sum the electric potentials to find the electric potential at one point. The potential due to charge A before "B" is placed there is:

kq / L

The potential due to charge B before "C" is placed is:

where I'm having problems. It states the point charges were initially infinitely far apart so I'm not sure how that affects "L."
Do you know how to determine W?

If all the charges are initially infinitely far apart:
How much work does it take to bring charge A into position?

How much work does it take to bring charge B into position, assuming that charge A is already in position?

How much work does it take to bring charge C into position, assuming that charges A & B are already in position?

How much work does it take to bring charge D into position, assuming that charges A, B & C are already in position?​

Hi.

I think I know how to calculate work. For charge "C," I was thinking this:

(q) Vc - Va = -Wca

It took "A" 0 J of work because that's the origin. I thought it would take kq^2/L to bring charge "C" into place because that's what it took "B." Is this the incorrect way to think of this?

PeachBanana said:
Hi.

I think I know how to calculate work. For charge "C," I was thinking this:

(q) Vc - Va = -Wca

It took "A" 0 J of work because that's the origin. I thought it would take kq^2/L to bring charge "C" into place because that's what it took "B." Is this the incorrect way to think of this?
I'm assuming all charges have a magnitude of q.

It takes 0 J of work to bring charge A into position (if it's the first charge), because there is no other charge present at that time.

It then takes [itex]\displaystyle \frac{k\,q^2}{L}[/itex] Joules of work to bring charge B into position.

Once charge C is in position, how far is it from charge A?
How far from charge B?​

Once charge "C" is placed, it is now 1L away from "B" but "2L" away from "A."

∴ 0.5 * k^2q / L - 0 = 0.5 k^2q / L

PeachBanana said:
Once charge "C" is placed, it is now 1L away from "B" but "2L" away from "A."

∴ 0.5 * k^2q / L - 0 = 0.5 k^2q / L

No, C is [itex]\sqrt{2}\,L[/itex] away from A .

So how much work dies it take to move C there ?

I do not understand why "C" is 2^0.5 away from "A."

So W = Fd = Uc - Ua

So now I need to find the potential energy at "C" and the potential energy at "A" and find the difference.

PeachBanana said:
I do not understand why "C" is 2^0.5 away from "A."

A and C are at the end points of the diagonal. If L is the length of one side of the square, what is the length of the diagonal?

PeachBanana said:
So W = Fd = Uc - Ua

So now I need to find the potential energy at "C" and the potential energy at "A" and find the difference.

Uc-Ua is the work done if you move the charge from A to C. But you need to determine the work needed when a charge is brought into point C from infinity. And that work is exactly the potential at C multiplied by the charge q.

ehild

Almost here.

To put "A" into position: 0 J
To put "B" into position: kq^2 / L
To put "C" into position: kq^2 / sqrt 2 * L
To put "D" into position: -kq^2 / L

0 J + kq^2 / L + kq^2 / sqrt 2 * L + (-kq^2 / L) =

kq^2 / L + kq^2 / sqrt 2 * L =

1 / 1 + 1 / sqrt 2 *(kq^2 / L) =

sqrt 2 / sqrt 2 + 1 / sqrt 2 =

1 + sqrt 2 / sqrt 2 (kq^2/L)

I know that was a pain to read but I'm still unsure of where I went wrong.

PeachBanana said:
Almost here.

To put "A" into position: 0 J
To put "B" into position: kq^2 / L
To put "C" into position: kq^2 / sqrt 2 * L
To put "D" into position: -kq^2 / L

When you put C into position both A and B are already there, so both exert force on C.
The same with D: A, B, C are there. You need to find the contribution of all the three other charges to D-s potential energy.

ehild

I won't go through all of math but I found the answer to be: W = 0 J.

PeachBanana said:
I won't go through all of math but I found the answer to be: W = 0 J.

Correct! :smile:

ehild

Related to Energy Stored Charge Configuration w/ Picture

1. What is energy stored charge configuration?

Energy stored charge configuration refers to the arrangement or distribution of electric charges in a system that has the ability to store energy. This energy can be released when the charges are allowed to move or flow, creating an electric current.

2. How is energy stored in charge configuration?

Energy is stored in charge configuration through the separation of positive and negative charges. This creates an electric potential energy that can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, when the charges are allowed to move.

3. What are some examples of energy stored charge configurations?

Some examples of energy stored charge configurations include batteries, capacitors, and lightning. In a battery, energy is stored through the separation of charges between the positive and negative terminals. In a capacitor, energy is stored in the electric field between two charged plates. Lightning is also a result of energy stored in charge configuration in the form of static electricity.

4. How do charge configurations affect the amount of stored energy?

The amount of stored energy in a charge configuration is dependent on the magnitude and distribution of the charges. The closer and larger the charges are, the more energy can be stored. Additionally, the type of material used can also affect the amount of stored energy.

5. How can energy be released from a charge configuration?

Energy can be released from a charge configuration by allowing the charges to move or flow through a conductor. This flow of charges creates an electric current, which can be used to power devices or do work. Alternatively, energy can also be released through the discharge of electric fields, such as in the case of lightning.