Energy - Ski sliding down a ramp

In summary: Thanks for the help.Ff * d = WI think that will yield me the right answer. I would use the length of the incline, since that is the direction Friction was acting in. Then I'll plug it in. I'm right about to go to bed, so I'll do that in the morning.
Ritzycat

Homework Statement

A ski starts from rest and slides down a 28 incline 65m long. If the coefficient of friction is 0.090, what is the ski's speed at the base of the incline? If the snow is level at the foot of the incline and has the same coefficient of friction, how far will the ski travel along the level?

Homework Equations

KE = (1/2)mv2
PEg = mgh

Note that I want to solve this problem using energy relations, not kinematics.

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking Point A to be the top of the ramp, point B to be right before the bottom.

PEg = KE + Ediss
mgh = (1/2)mv2 + Ff
mgh = (1/2)mv2 + μFN
mgh = (1/2)mv2 + μmg(sin 30)
gh = (1/2)v2 + μg(sin 30)
(9.8m/s2)(30.5157m) = (1/2)(v2) + (0.090)(9.8m/s2)(sin 30)

v = 24.4 m/s.

That answer was incorrect. I have not yet attempted the second question since I don't have a correct answer for the first one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ritzycat said:

Taking Point A to be the top of the ramp, point B to be right before the bottom.

PEg = KE + Ediss
mgh = (1/2)mv2 + Ff
mgh = (1/2)mv2 + μFN
mgh = (1/2)mv2 + μmg(sin 30)
gh = (1/2)v2 + μg(sin 30)
(9.8m/s2)(30.5157m) = (1/2)(v2) + (0.090)(9.8m/s2)(sin 30)

v = 24.4 m/s.

That answer was incorrect. I have not yet attempted the second question since I don't have a correct answer for the first one.

First thing, The angle of incline is 28 ,not 30. Secondly work done by friction is not μN.

Last edited:
Ritzycat said:

PEg = KE + Ediss
mgh = (1/2)mv2 + Ff

The dissipated energy is not equal to the force of friction.

Tanya Sharma said:
First , The angle of incline is 28 ,not 30. Secondly work done by friction is not μFN.

Thanks for the reminder - although when I plugged in the new value, the answer changed very minimally...

ehild said:
The dissipated energy is not equal to the force of friction.

What should I set E diss equal to then??

Energy dissipated is equal to the work done by friction . How do you calculate the work done by a force ?

Ritzycat said:
Thanks for the reminder - although when I plugged in the new value, the answer changed very minimally...
What should I set E diss equal to then??
Do you think that energy is the same as force?

Tanya Sharma said:
Energy dissipated is equal to the work done by friction . How do you calculate the work done by a force ?

Ff * d = W

I think that will yield me the right answer. I would use the length of the incline, since that is the direction Friction was acting in. Then I'll plug it in. I'm right about to go to bed, so I'll do that in the morning.

ehild said:
Do you think that energy is the same as force?

No I forgot to multiply it by Distance....! i get it now Silly Ritzycat

Such things do happen :)

Related to Energy - Ski sliding down a ramp

1. How does the height of the ramp affect the energy of a ski sliding down?

The higher the ramp, the greater the potential energy of the ski. This potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the ski slides down the ramp.

2. What is the relationship between the mass of the ski and its speed down the ramp?

The mass of the ski does not directly affect its speed down the ramp. However, a heavier ski may have more friction with the ramp, slowing it down.

3. Does the angle of the ramp affect the energy of the ski?

Yes, the steeper the ramp, the greater the potential energy of the ski. This potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the ski slides down the ramp.

4. How does friction play a role in the energy of a ski sliding down a ramp?

Friction between the ski and the ramp will convert some of the potential energy into heat and sound, reducing the overall energy of the ski.

5. Can the energy of a ski sliding down a ramp be conserved?

In theory, yes. The total energy of the ski (kinetic and potential) should remain constant as long as there is no external force acting on it, such as friction or air resistance.