Energy lost from sphere due to spark

In summary, a spark can cause energy loss from a sphere by creating an electrical discharge that transfers heat and light energy to the surrounding air molecules. The amount of energy lost can be calculated using the formula Q = CV^2, and cannot be recovered once dispersed. Factors such as voltage, capacitance, distance, and environment composition can affect the amount of energy lost. To minimize energy loss, the voltage can be reduced, distance increased, and materials with lower capacitance can be used. Insulation and grounding can also help reduce energy loss from sparks.
Janiceleong26
image.jpg
1. Homework Statement

image.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did this :
1/2 (2.7x10^-6)(150x10^3) - 1/2 (1.575x 10^-6)(75x10^3) =0.143 J
But the answer is 0.15 , where did I did wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is: [(1/2) x (2.7x150) - (1/2) x (1.35x75)]x10^-3 = 0.152 J

freddie_mclair said:
I think it is: [(1/2) x (2.7x150) - (1/2) x (1.35x75)]x10^-3 = 0.152 J
Oh whoops, I read off the point wrongly, thanks!

Related to Energy lost from sphere due to spark

1. How does a spark cause energy loss from a sphere?

When a spark occurs, it creates an electrical discharge that releases energy in the form of heat and light. This energy is then transferred to the surrounding air molecules and causes them to vibrate, leading to an increase in temperature and energy loss from the sphere.

2. How is the amount of energy lost from a sphere due to a spark calculated?

The amount of energy lost from a sphere due to a spark can be calculated using the formula Q = CV2, where Q is the energy lost, C is the capacitance of the sphere, and V is the voltage of the spark.

3. Can the energy lost from a sphere due to a spark be recovered?

No, the energy lost from a sphere due to a spark cannot be recovered. Once the energy is released in the form of heat and light, it is dispersed into the surrounding environment and cannot be harnessed again.

4. What factors affect the amount of energy lost from a sphere due to a spark?

The amount of energy lost from a sphere due to a spark can be affected by various factors, including the voltage of the spark, the capacitance of the sphere, the distance between the spark and the sphere, and the composition of the surrounding environment.

5. How can the energy lost from a sphere due to a spark be minimized?

The energy lost from a sphere due to a spark can be minimized by reducing the voltage of the spark, increasing the distance between the spark and the sphere, and using materials with lower capacitance for the sphere. Proper insulation and grounding can also help reduce energy loss from sparks.