End Behavior of Even and Odd-Degree Polynomial Functions

• Thread starter zeion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, an even-degree polynomial function has the same end behavior, while an odd-degree polynomial function has opposite end behaviors. When graphing a polynomial, the end behaviors may appear opposite if the interval does not extend far enough.
zeion

Homework Statement

My textbook tells me that "An even-degree polynomial function has the same end behavior" and "An odd-degree polynomial polynomial function has opposite end behaviors".

Why is it that when I try to graph let's say "x^4 + 10x^3 + x^2 +x + 1" the end behaviors are opposite even though the function is an even-degree polynomial function?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
zeion said:

Homework Statement

My textbook tells me that "An even-degree polynomial function has the same end behavior" and "An odd-degree polynomial polynomial function has opposite end behaviors".

Why is it that when I try to graph let's say "x^4 + 10x^3 + x^2 +x + 1" the end behaviors are opposite even though the function is an even-degree polynomial function?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Perhaps it's because you are graphing it over an itnerval which doesn't extend far enough.

Here's a graph of your polynomial for -10.1 ≤ x ≤ 2.5 . (from WolframAlpha)

attachment.php?attachmentid=51348&stc=1&d=1349027600.gif

Attachments

• WA_4thDegreePoly.gif
    WA_4thDegreePoly.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 487
Oh how silly of me. Thanks.

Related to End Behavior of Even and Odd-Degree Polynomial Functions

1. What is meant by "end behaviour" of a function?

The end behaviour of a function refers to the behavior of the function as the input values get extremely large or extremely small. It describes how the function approaches its highest or lowest values as the input values approach positive or negative infinity.

2. How can we determine the end behaviour of a function?

To determine the end behaviour of a function, we can look at the highest degree term in the function's equation. If the highest degree term is an even power, the end behaviour will be the same on both sides of the graph. If the highest degree term is an odd power, the end behaviour will be different on each side of the graph.

3. What are the two types of end behaviour for functions?

The two types of end behaviour for functions are horizontal and vertical. Horizontal end behaviour occurs when the function approaches a constant value as the input values get extremely large or small. Vertical end behaviour occurs when the function approaches positive or negative infinity as the input values get extremely large or small.

4. Can a function have more than one type of end behaviour?

Yes, a function can have both horizontal and vertical end behaviour. This occurs when the function has a highest degree term with an odd power and a constant term. As the input values approach positive or negative infinity, the function will approach a constant value on one side and positive or negative infinity on the other side.

5. How does end behaviour relate to the overall shape of a function's graph?

The end behaviour of a function can give us information about the overall shape of the function's graph. It can help us determine if the function has a horizontal or vertical asymptote, and if the graph will have a positive or negative slope on each side. This information can also help us sketch the graph of a function without having to plot many points.