Emailing a postdoc offerer for future reference?

In summary, the conversation discusses the acceptability of looking at post-doc offers as a pre-PhD student and asking if the offerer would accept a PhD in a different field. It is also mentioned that if a post-doc specifies a "closely related field," it means that they are looking for a specific level of expertise and quality of work.
Hercuflea
Would it be acceptable to look at post-doc offers (as a pre-PhD student) and email the offerer to ask whether they would accept a PhD in X field? If a post-doc says it requires you to have a PhD in a "closely related field", would it be alright to email them and ask if you do a PhD in something if they would take that?

Physics news on Phys.org
If it says "closely related field" that's what they mean. However, it's obviously not just a matter of how close your phd work is to the project, it's also the strength of your work and your manner.

Related to Emailing a postdoc offerer for future reference?

1. How should I address the postdoc offerer in my email?

It is best to use their formal title, such as "Dr." or "Professor," followed by their last name. If you are unsure of their preferred title, you can use "Dear [First Name] [Last Name]."

2. What information should I include in my email?

In your email, you should thank the postdoc offerer for their time and consideration, express your interest in their research, and highlight your qualifications and why you believe you would be a good fit for their lab. You can also include any relevant documents, such as your CV or research statement.

3. How long should my email be?

Your email should be concise, typically no more than 2-3 paragraphs. You want to make sure you get your main points across without overwhelming the postdoc offerer with too much information. If you have a lot to say, consider attaching a separate document with more details.

4. Is it appropriate to follow up if I don't receive a response?

Yes, it is appropriate to follow up if you don't receive a response within a reasonable amount of time (usually 1-2 weeks). Keep your follow-up email short and polite, simply reminding the postdoc offerer of your previous email and expressing your continued interest in the position.

5. Should I send the same email to multiple postdoc offerers?

No, it is not recommended to send the same email to multiple postdoc offerers. Each email should be tailored to the specific offerer and their research interests. Sending a generic email may come across as insincere and decrease your chances of receiving a response.