EM radiation appearing to travel faster than C

In summary, the conversation revolved around a phenomenon in applied electromagnetic courses that made it seem like the wave was traveling faster than the speed of light. The professor explained that this was a 'trick' and information is actually propagated at the group velocity, which is always less than or equal to the speed of light. This phenomenon is known as anomalous dispersion. The individual is interested in exploring how information could potentially be transmitted at phase velocity, but acknowledges the need to further ponder the physics involved.
ElijahRockers
Gold Member
I just had a flashback to an applied electromagnetic course I took a few years ago. I believe we were learning possibly about waveguides (maybe) or something, but there appeared a phenomenon in the math that made it appear as if the wave was traveling faster than C.

When asked about it, the professor said this is a sort of 'trick' because actually the information was not traveling faster than C, so it is allowed by the universe.

I sort of took it for granted at the time and accepted his explanation (it's not the first time I can remember hearing of it) but if anyone knows what I'm talking about I would be grateful to be reminded, now that I have developed a taste for information theory.

Science news on Phys.org
I think you are talking about the phenomenon of anomalous dispersion. In this case the phase velocity of the light can be greater than c. However, information is propagated at the group velocity, not the phase velocity. The group velocity is always <= c.

Likes ElijahRockers
Interesting... I am curious to try to think of how you could transmit information at phase velocity, > c.
Changing the phase velocity does not transmit information faster than information can travel via the group velocity? I will have to ponder the physics for awhile I suppose when I get the chance, thanks for reminding me.

Related to EM radiation appearing to travel faster than C

1. How is it possible for EM radiation to travel faster than the speed of light (C)?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light (C) is the ultimate speed limit in the universe. However, there are certain phenomena, such as the apparent faster-than-light movement of EM radiation, that can be explained by other factors such as refraction and scattering.

2. Can EM radiation actually travel faster than the speed of light?

No, EM radiation cannot travel faster than the speed of light. This phenomenon is only apparent and can be explained by various factors, but the actual speed of EM radiation is always equal to or less than the speed of light (C).

3. What is the difference between apparent faster-than-light movement and actual faster-than-light travel?

Apparent faster-than-light movement refers to the illusion of EM radiation traveling faster than the speed of light, whereas actual faster-than-light travel would violate the laws of physics. Apparent faster-than-light movement can be explained by factors such as refraction and scattering, while actual faster-than-light travel is currently considered impossible.

4. Is there any evidence of EM radiation traveling faster than the speed of light?

No, there is no scientific evidence to support the claim that EM radiation can travel faster than the speed of light. While there have been some experiments that initially appeared to show faster-than-light movement, further analysis and research have debunked these claims.

5. How does the speed of light affect our understanding of the universe?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in the universe and plays a crucial role in our understanding of space and time. It forms the basis of Einstein's theory of relativity and is used to define the concept of causality, which is essential in understanding the cause and effect relationships in the universe.