Electromagnetism - Potentials due to point charge and along line of of charge

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions regarding electric potential and the associated calculations. The first question involves an infinitely long and thin line of charge with a specific density, while the second question deals with the potential at a specific position due to a point charge. The conversation includes equations and the attempt at a solution for both questions. The student believes that the allocated points for the questions do not match the amount of work required. However, the expert summarizer confirms that the student's calculations and approach seem correct.
Kweh-chan

Homework Statement

Consider an infinitely long and thin line of charge, with density 8nC/m. Calculate the electric potential difference ((phi)1-2) between two points in air at radial disances 1mm and 3mm.

Homework Equations

I am assuming:
Phi(r) = λ/2(pi)ε0 * ln(rR/r) where rR is a reference point

The Attempt at a Solution

Our lecturer told us that we did not have to derive electric potential - just use what we had discussed in the notes, which, as far I can tell, is the above.

As far as I can see, this is just plugging in 8x10^-9 c for λ, 3x10^-3m for rR, and 1x10^-3m for r.

The problem: this is a 20 point question! One fifth of the assignment's points.

I feel like there is something to this that I am missing, but, despite having poured through our notes and researched on the internet (and even found a worked problem that is similar), I cannot find anything else to do other than plug in for λ, rR, and r.

If I'm wrong and there's a lot more I have to do, could someone please help point me in the right direction?

Homework Statement

The potential at position r due to a point charge q at position r' is

phi(r) = q/4piε0 * 1/|r-r'|

a.) Calculate grad phi and hence the electric field E.
b.) What is the force experienced by a charge q1 at position r?
c.) What is the potential energy of the charge at q1?

Homework Equations

Given above; however, also worth knowing is
E = -grad phi
U = q2 * phi

The Attempt at a Solution

This is like the above question, where, in my mind at least, the points allocated don't seem to match up with the amount of work to be done.

Part a I have no problems with. I thought of r in terms of x,y, and z (again, according to our lecturer's advice), and then I used partial derivative with respect to x, then stated that, according to symmetry, y and z worked out to be the same, giving an answer of
grad phi = q/4piε0 * r'-r/|r-r'|^3

and since E = -grad phi, this reversed the top value (r'-r) to give
E = = q/4piε0 * r-r'/|r-r'|^3.

That felt like a solid 10 points worth of work.

To do part b, it seems that all I have to do is multiply another q into the equation, and multiply that by -1 (since the charge is going from q1 (which I assume is equivalent to "q2") to q (which I assume is equivalent to "q1")). This feels more like 2 or 3 points worth of work.

Then for part c, I have done a negative integral of what I calculated for F, with respect to r. This gives me

U = q*q1/4piε0 * 1/|r-r'|

Not only does this answer not seem correct, but it also doesn't feel like 10 points worth of work.

Again, if someone could help me see where I went wrong, and point me in the direction of whatever I'm missing, I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
All of that seems correct...
Probably the teacher expected you to calculate the potential in the first question. But it is good what you have done.

Related to Electromagnetism - Potentials due to point charge and along line of of charge

What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the relationship between electricity and magnetism. It explains how electric and magnetic fields interact with each other and how they affect the behavior of charged particles.

What is a point charge?

A point charge is a hypothetical particle that has a finite amount of electric charge concentrated at a single point in space. It is used in electromagnetism to simplify the calculations of electric fields and potentials.

How do you calculate the potential due to a point charge?

The potential due to a point charge can be calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the point charge, and r is the distance from the point charge.

What is the potential along a line of charge?

The potential along a line of charge is the electric potential at different points along a straight line where a charge is distributed. It is given by the formula V = kλ/r, where λ is the linear charge density and r is the distance from the line of charge.

How does the electric potential due to a point charge change with distance?

The electric potential due to a point charge decreases as the distance from the charge increases. This is because the electric field strength decreases with distance, resulting in a lower potential. The relationship between potential and distance is inversely proportional.