Electromagnetism - Cross Product of length and Magnetic Field

In summary, a 42.0cm long wire is bent at a right angle and a current of 15.0 A flows in it. The wire passes through a uniform magnetic field given by B = (0.318i) T. TheAttempt at a Solution was able to find the angle and magnitude of the force acting on the wire due to the current.
mvanella

Homework Statement

A stiff wire 42.0cm long is bent at a right angle in the middle. One section lies along the z axis and the other is along the line y=2x in the xy plane. A current of 15.0 A flows in the wire-down the z axis and out the line in the xy plane. The wire passes through a uniform magnetic field given by B = (0.318i) T.

Homework Equations

F = I * l x B

The Attempt at a Solution

I am given all the elements, Current, length of wire, and Magnetic Field. I know that I have to figure out the cross product of the length and the magnetic field vectors, but this is where I have the most trouble.
If I am looking at my notebook I am using an xy plane where the y-axis is up/down and x is horizontal, same as we all learned in calculus. The z axis is the depth. Since the current is flowing down the z axis it is flowing into the page, so to speak.My graph diagram might look like this for the xy axis
...y
...| / y = 2x
_______|/___________ x
.../|
.../ |
with the z axis as depth (in and out of the screen)
The length of each half of the wire is 0.21m.

To find the angle I use old trusty TOA (tanθ = o/a) to give me an angle of 63.4°
To find my x and y magnitudes I use SOH and CAH
x = cos(63.4°)*0.21m = 0.09m
y = sin(63.4°)*0.21m = 0.19m
and since Z is flowing into the page does that mean that my z vector is 0.21m?

Any help at this point is appreciated.

I am going to continue trying to work this out while I wait for help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the current flowing down the z axis, direction of current is of course in the [itex]\hat{-k}[/itex] direction. B is in [itex]\hat{i}[/itex] direction. So the force on this segment of the wire would be in [itex]\hat{-k}\times \hat{i}= \hat{-j}[/itex] direction.

For the segment of the wire in the xy plane, I is flowing in the first quadrant I suppose. So
the x and y components of vector I are positive. B is in [itex]\hat{i}[/itex] direction.
So the force on this segment , which is cross product of vector I and vector B, would be
in [itex]\hat{-k}[/itex] direction.

I thouight that L is a vector as well? At least that's what my book indicates. So is the cross product between L and B or between I and B?

well you can think of L as a vector or you can think of I as vector. The direction of both of them is same at any point...

Ok so I got components of "L" as 0.09i, 0.19j, 0.21k in meters. I took the cross product of those with the only component of B which is 0.318i in Tesla. I got a result of
-0.06678j and -0.06042k in Tm which gave me an angle of 47.9° below horizontal.
Now I was assuming that the magnitude of the force would be easy to find using pythagorean theorem of 0.06678^2 + 0.06042^2 = 0.00811 then multiplying that by the current of 15.0A to get: 0.121N but that doesn't make sense...

It should be at least greater than one Newton. Unfortunately I was using a rework of the problem on MasteringPhysics so I can't check my work. But I used the same process with different data and still ended up with a result of less than a Newton.

why would get components of L as 0.09i, 0.19j, 0.21k ? One segment is flowing down the
z axis and other segment is flowing in the xy plane. Work differently with these two segments, since the direction of force acting on these segments is different.

Related to Electromagnetism - Cross Product of length and Magnetic Field

1. What is the cross product of length and magnetic field?

The cross product of length and magnetic field is a mathematical operation that results in a vector quantity. It is calculated by taking the magnitude of the length and the magnitude of the magnetic field, and multiplying them by the sine of the angle between the two vectors.

2. How is the cross product of length and magnetic field used in electromagnetism?

In electromagnetism, the cross product of length and magnetic field is used to determine the direction and strength of the magnetic force on a moving charged particle. It is also used to calculate the torque on a current-carrying loop in a magnetic field.

3. What is the right-hand rule and how is it related to the cross product of length and magnetic field?

The right-hand rule is a mnemonic device used to determine the direction of the resulting vector in a cross product. The index finger represents the direction of the first vector, the middle finger represents the direction of the second vector, and the thumb represents the direction of the resulting vector.

4. How does the magnitude of the cross product of length and magnetic field affect the resulting vector?

The magnitude of the cross product of length and magnetic field affects the resulting vector by determining the strength of the resulting magnetic force or torque. The greater the magnitude, the stronger the resulting force or torque will be.

5. Is the cross product of length and magnetic field always perpendicular to both vectors?

Yes, the cross product of length and magnetic field is always perpendicular to both vectors. This is because the resulting vector is calculated using the sine of the angle between the two vectors, which is always perpendicular to both vectors.