[Electrical Engineering] Three-phase transmission line problem

In summary, to determine the receiving end line voltage of a three-phase line delivering 3600 kW at a lagging power factor of 0.85, we can calculate the total impedance, sending end line current, sending end line voltage, and use the power equations to solve for the receiving end line voltage. This involves finding the values of E2 and d, which can then be plugged into the equations to determine the receiving end line voltage.
MrPacane

Homework Statement

A three-phase line delivers 3600 kW at its receiving end at a lagging power factor of 0.85. The line resistance and reactance are 5 Ohms and 8 Ohms per phase respectively. Given that the sending end line voltage is 33kV, you are asked to determine the receiving end line voltage.

Homework Equations

Z = R + jX
z = 90 - arctan(X/R)

p.f. = P/√(P²+Q²)

P2 = Active power at the receiving end = 3600 kW
Q2 = Reactive power at the receiving end = 2231.08 kVAR (found using the equation above)

P2 = E1*E2*sin(z+d)/Z - (E2/Z)^2*R
Q2 = E1*E2*cos(z+d)/Z - (E2/Z)^2*X

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to solve this system of equations which has two unknows (d & E2) but I don't think that's the right approach... Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. To determine the receiving end line voltage, we can use the following steps:

1. Calculate the total impedance of the line using the given resistance and reactance values:
Z = √(R² + X²) = √(5² + 8²) = 9.433 Ohms

2. Calculate the sending end line current using the given power and power factor values:
I1 = P/S√(1-p.f.²) = 3600/(33kV*√(1-0.85²)) = 60.72 A

3. Use the power triangle to find the sending end line voltage:
S = √(P² + Q²) = 3600/(0.85) = 4235.29 kVA
E1 = S/I1 = 4235.29/60.72 = 69.74 kV

4. Use the power equations to determine the receiving end line voltage:
P2 = E1*E2*sin(z+d)/Z - (E2/Z)^2*R
Q2 = E1*E2*cos(z+d)/Z - (E2/Z)^2*X

We can rearrange these equations to solve for E2 and d. Once we have these values, we can plug them into the equations to find the receiving end line voltage. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to [Electrical Engineering] Three-phase transmission line problem

1. What is a three-phase transmission line?

A three-phase transmission line is an electrical system that uses three conductors to transmit electricity. It is commonly used in power systems to efficiently transmit large amounts of electricity over long distances.

2. What are the advantages of using a three-phase transmission line?

There are several advantages of using a three-phase transmission line, including higher efficiency, lower cost, and better voltage regulation. Additionally, three-phase power can be easily converted to single-phase power, making it versatile for different applications.

3. What is the difference between single-phase and three-phase power?

Single-phase power uses a single conductor to transmit electricity, while three-phase power uses three conductors. Three-phase power is more efficient and can carry larger loads than single-phase power. It is also more stable and has better voltage regulation.

4. How is voltage regulated in a three-phase transmission line?

Voltage regulation is achieved by using transformers and voltage regulators along the transmission line. These devices can adjust the voltage to maintain a constant level and ensure that the power reaches its destination at the desired voltage.

5. What are some common problems that can occur in a three-phase transmission line?

Some common problems with three-phase transmission lines include voltage imbalances, power surges, and line faults. These issues can cause disruptions in the power supply and damage to electrical equipment, so it is important to regularly inspect and maintain the transmission line.