Electrical distribution network

In summary: The difference between an in-feed and a feeder is that an in-feed is a source of power for a distribution system, while a feeder is a branch load of a distribution system.
Ryan Walkowski
I am doing a project for a course and it asks me to draw annotated drawings of the distribution network including generators, transmission systems, distribution system and low voltage loads which in general is all fine. However, I have come across a question that asks me to draw an annotated line schematic of multiple infeeds and feeders. My issue is that I thought in-feeds and feeders were the same thing! Can anyone tell me what the difference is. I'm embarrassed to even be asking this but I don't know

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ryan Walkowski said:
I am doing a project for a course and it asks me to draw annotated drawings of the distribution network including generators, transmission systems, distribution system and low voltage loads which in general is all fine. However, I have come across a question that asks me to draw an annotated line schematic of multiple infeeds and feeders. My issue is that I thought in-feeds and feeders were the same thing! Can anyone tell me what the difference is. I'm embarrassed to even be asking this but I don't know
I don't know if this will help with your current question, but this Insights series by @anorlunda should help you in your overall work on AC distribution networks:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/ac-power-analysis-part-1-basics/

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/ac-power-analysis-part-2-network-analysis/

:smile:

I'll bet @jim hardy will be able to help you find a diagram.

Ryan Walkowski said:
I have come across a question that asks me to draw an annotated line schematic of multiple infeeds and feeders.

Sorta hard to know what that textbook author had in mind for term "infeeder" without reading the chapter from which his question sprang.

The word doesn't appear in this GE brochure

http://www.gegridsolutions.com/multilin/resource/feeder/UniFlip_Publication/document.pdf

i'll guess he means there are multiple primary feeds bringing power into the local distribution system

Anyhow, that link should have keywords for further search.

run this by teacher and ask if it's the right flavor ?
http://img.bhs4.com/E3/5/E35C9593D2CE154DB1E4A551047739EFE52121A3_large.jpg
E35C9593D2CE154DB1E4A551047739EFE52121A3_large.jpg

or maybe one like this
https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/electric_power/images/scope_fig3.jpghere's a description of a power plant electrical distribution system . When i first read your question i thought "my old plant one line diagrams would meet those requirements"
http://www.pdhonline.com/courses/e184/e184content.pdf
see page 3, it looks like a good start. Needs an in house generator for times when grid is down.

old jim
Glad to see students interested in power side of EE . It's going to see drastic change in you guys' working years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes davenn
In feeds are sources and Feeders are frequently the branch loads, at least here in the USA - another issue is that a lot of the language used is regional / country specific. Even Annotated Drawings is vague to me, We have Single Line, Three Line, etc - If I Google Image search for "annotated drawings of the distribution network" the results are quite varied, but "Single Line Diagram" you will see is much more consistent.

Related to Electrical distribution network

1. What is an electrical distribution network?

An electrical distribution network is a system of power lines, transformers, and other equipment that distribute electricity from power plants to homes, businesses, and other buildings. It is responsible for delivering electricity to end users at the appropriate voltage and frequency.

2. How does an electrical distribution network work?

An electrical distribution network works by receiving high voltage electricity from power plants and then using transformers to step down the voltage to a lower level that can be safely distributed to end users. The network also includes switches, fuses, and other equipment to control the flow of electricity and protect against overloads or faults.

3. What are the components of an electrical distribution network?

The main components of an electrical distribution network include power plants, transmission lines, distribution substations, distribution lines, transformers, switches, and meters. Other components may also be included depending on the specific design and needs of the network.

4. How is an electrical distribution network maintained?

An electrical distribution network requires regular maintenance to ensure reliable and safe operation. This includes inspections, repairs, and replacements of equipment as needed. Maintenance may also involve tree trimming to prevent interference with power lines, as well as upgrades to accommodate increasing demands for electricity.

5. What are the challenges facing electrical distribution networks?

One of the main challenges facing electrical distribution networks is aging infrastructure. Many networks were built decades ago and are in need of upgrades and modernization. Another challenge is the increasing demand for electricity, which can strain the capacity of the network. Additionally, natural disasters and extreme weather events can cause damage to the network and disrupt power supply. Innovative solutions and investments in technology are needed to address these challenges and ensure a reliable and sustainable electrical distribution network.