Electrical Circuit Question - Maximum Power Dispated in Resistor

In summary, the student is trying to find the resistance of a node when there are open and short circuit sources present. The student is unsure if the answer they are getting is accurate. The student is grateful for the help of others and concludes with a summary.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/6951/captureaww.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is one allowed to find [itex]R_{Th}[/itex] by simply short circuiting all voltage source and opening all current sources and finding the equivalent resistance while keeping [itex]R_{L}[/itex] in place and treating it's ends as stationary nodes? I know you can do this with independent sources but I'm not really sure about dependent sources. My professor said that he wasn't really sure.

When I use this method to find [itex]R_{Th}[/itex] I get two ohms.

However I don't know if this is accurate as it's not what I get when I use other methods to find [itex]R_{Th}[/itex].

So is this a valid solution to this problem? If it is and [itex]R_{Th}[/itex] is really two than I'm greatly concerned because I have tried solving this problem two other ways and don't get this for my answer. The two other methods I used to solve the problem give me the same answer as well. If it is than I'll post my other solutions if it is necessary.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    12.3 KB · Views: 421
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, you have to divide the open-circuit voltage by the short-circuit current when there's a dependent source.

I get half a ohm for R th when I don't use this method, does this sound correct?

Last edited:
I got the same for the resistance with the highest power, which have to be the same as the Th resistance. What method did you use? ehild

You mean you got .5 ohm?

First Method
I found open circuit voltage of .25 V
short circuit current of 2 A
R th .5 ohm
Max power in Rl to be 1/32 W

Second Method
Considered Rl to be a variable. Found voltage across Rl as a function of Rl. Used power equation as a function of Rl, V/Rl. Took derivative set equal to zero and got
RL = .5
I plugged back into my equation for power in terms of Rl and got
1/32 W

I have spent several hours on this problem because I was under the assumption I could just short voltage sources and open the dependent current source and solve for Rth
I got 2 ohm when I did this
I then solved for the voltage across this resistor (I forget what I got I erased this)
and then plugged into the power equation
I was getting a different answer from the other two methods so I questioned if I could actually do this method or not.

Does the answers I got for the first two sound right?

Thanks for all your help!

Yes, RL=0.5 ohm. The second method is correct for sure.
I do not see yet how you got the open circuit voltage and short circuit current.

I think you meant you got 1/2 A for the short-circuit current, not 2 A. I got the same results you did then.

Oh you thanks a lot for all the help guys. The short circuit current should be .5 A and for the open circuit voltage I still get .25

.25/.5 = .5 ohms

I'm really glad I struggled through this and learned that I can't open circuit dependent current sources or short dependent voltage sources.

Thanks again guys.

Related to Electrical Circuit Question - Maximum Power Dispated in Resistor

1. What is the formula for calculating maximum power dissipated in a resistor?

The formula for calculating maximum power dissipated in a resistor is P = V2/R, where P represents power in watts, V represents voltage in volts, and R represents resistance in ohms.

2. How do you determine the maximum power dissipated in a resistor graphically?

To determine the maximum power dissipated in a resistor graphically, plot the voltage and current values on a graph and find the point where the curve representing power (P = IV) reaches its maximum value. The corresponding power value at this point is the maximum power dissipated in the resistor.

3. How does the maximum power dissipated in a resistor change with different resistors?

The maximum power dissipated in a resistor is directly proportional to the resistance of the resistor. This means that as the resistance increases, the maximum power dissipated also increases. However, the maximum power dissipated may also be affected by other factors such as the voltage and current values.

4. Can the maximum power dissipated in a resistor ever be greater than the power supply?

No, the maximum power dissipated in a resistor cannot be greater than the power supply. This is because the power supply provides the maximum amount of power that can be dissipated in the circuit. If the resistance of the resistor is too high, the power supply may not be able to provide enough power for the maximum power dissipation to occur.

5. Why is it important to calculate the maximum power dissipated in a resistor?

Calculating the maximum power dissipated in a resistor is important because it helps in determining the maximum amount of power that can be safely dissipated in a circuit. This information is crucial in designing and selecting components for a circuit to prevent damage to the components and ensure safe operation of the circuit.