Electric Circuits - Superposition and Mesh Analysis

In summary, superposition is a principle in electric circuits that states the total voltage or current in a circuit is equal to the algebraic sum of individual voltages or currents caused by each source in the circuit. It is used in circuit analysis to simplify complex circuits and is based on Kirchhoff's voltage law. Mesh analysis is a method for solving electric circuits by creating loops and applying Kirchhoff's voltage law. It is different from nodal analysis and has advantages such as efficiency and accuracy in solving complex circuits.
Victor Feitosa

Homework Statement

Exercise 4.15 on the image.
Screenshot_2016-06-15-23-01-06.jpg
The exercise asks for the value of the current I using superposition

Homework Equations

Superposition theorem, nodal and mesh analysis

The Attempt at a Solution

1466042652843837493614.jpg
I think i am doing the mesh analysis wrong, but can't see where. Can someone give me feedback?

Thank you, ppl!

Physics news on Phys.org
Where the 2A current divides---some goes through the 2Ω and some goes through the 3Ω---these will not be equal currents.

I anticipate that when you take a closer look at this part of your working you will spot your mistake.

Related to Electric Circuits - Superposition and Mesh Analysis

1. What is superposition in electric circuits?

Superposition is a principle in electric circuits that states that the total voltage or current in a circuit is equal to the algebraic sum of individual voltages or currents caused by each source in the circuit.

2. How is superposition used in circuit analysis?

Superposition is used in circuit analysis to simplify complex circuits by breaking them down into smaller, easier to solve circuits. This is done by considering each source in the circuit separately and then combining the individual solutions to find the overall solution.

3. What is mesh analysis in electric circuits?

Mesh analysis is a method for solving electric circuits that involves creating a mesh or loop in the circuit and applying Kirchhoff's voltage law to each mesh. This allows for the calculation of currents and voltages in the circuit.

4. How is mesh analysis different from nodal analysis?

Mesh analysis is based on Kirchhoff's voltage law and involves creating loops in the circuit, while nodal analysis is based on Kirchhoff's current law and involves analyzing the currents at each node in the circuit. Both methods can be used to solve complex circuits, but they use different approaches.

5. What are the advantages of using mesh analysis in circuit analysis?

Mesh analysis can be more efficient and accurate than other methods, such as nodal analysis, as it reduces the number of equations that need to be solved. It also allows for the calculation of individual currents and voltages in the circuit, making it easier to identify potential problems or malfunctions in the circuit.