Electric Charges (max and min)

In summary, the x-component of the force on a positive charge q on the x-axis is minimum when b=0 and maximum when b=a/sqrt(8a^2q)^3. The x-component can be found by multiplying the magnitude of the force, Fx, by a sin or cosine term.
Physics Help!
A positive charge Q is on the y-axis at a distance a from the origin, and another positive charge q is on the x-axis at a distance b from the origin.
A) For what values(s) of b is the x-component of the force on q a minimum?
B) For what values(s) of b is the x-component of the force on q a maximum?

Ok so I know that when b is zero, there is no x component.

To solve the maz I did the following

Fx=kQq/(a+b)^2

soFx = (4πεQq/(a^2 +b^2))(b/dFx/db = ((4πεQq)/(a^2 +b^2)^1.5) -8πεQqb^2(1.5(a^2 +b^2)^0.5/(a^2 +b^2)^3
a^2 +b^2))= 4πεQqb/(a^2 +b^2)^1.5

I took the deriviative of Fx with respect to b,
dFx/db = ((4πεQq)/(a^2 +b^2)^1.5) -8πεQqb^2(1.5(a^2 +b^2)^0.5/(a^2 +b^2)^3 (I don't know if this is right)
to solve for b I got
b=a/sqrt(8a^2q)^3

I'm pretty sure this is not right since on the website I use to submit my homework, there is only one space below the a for the maxima.

Where I need to input my answers it says the following:
a) Minima when b=___ and also as b approaches infinity
b) Maxima when b= +-a/sqrt____

There's only space for one number on each blank. I assume a) is zero. but I don't know what to do with b.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you call F_x is not the force in the x direction but the magnitude of the force. You need to multiply F_x by a sin or cosine term to get the x component. But other then that it looks like you are on the right track.

Related to Electric Charges (max and min)

1. What is the maximum electric charge that an object can have?

The maximum electric charge that an object can have is determined by its size and material composition. For example, a small object made of metal can hold a maximum charge of around 10^-9 coulombs, while a larger object made of the same material can hold a maximum charge of around 10^-6 coulombs.

2. What is the minimum electric charge that an object can have?

The minimum electric charge that an object can have is known as the elementary charge, which is the charge carried by a single electron. This charge is approximately 1.6 x 10^-19 coulombs.

3. Can an object have a negative maximum electric charge?

No, an object cannot have a negative maximum electric charge. The maximum charge that an object can hold is always a positive value, and it is determined by the number of electrons that can be added or removed from the object.

4. How do objects become charged?

Objects become charged when they gain or lose electrons. When an object gains electrons, it becomes negatively charged, and when it loses electrons, it becomes positively charged. This can happen through friction, contact with other charged objects, or exposure to external electric fields.

5. Is there a limit to the number of electric charges an object can hold?

Yes, there is a limit to the number of electric charges an object can hold. This limit is determined by the object's size and material composition, as well as the strength of the electric field it is exposed to. Once the object reaches its maximum charge, it cannot hold any more electrons and will remain at a constant charge until some of the electrons are removed.