Electric Blanket for a flow rig

In summary, the conversation is about designing a flow rig and maintaining a constant temperature of 30C. The suggestion is to use electric heat trace cable with a controller and insulation, such as fiberglas, mineral wool, or calcium silicate, to help maintain the temperature.
zymil
Hi all,

I'm designing a flow rig for my project. I'm running out of ideas on how to keep the rig at constant temperature of about 30C. The rig is made of acrylic, 10mm diameter, and the total length is about 1m.
Any kind of input is appreciated.

Regards,
Jeff

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

You will need to figure out how much energy input is required to keep it at 30 C.

Given the length of 1m, your simpliest solution is likely electric heat trace cable. You can get a simple controller to maintain your 30C setpoint. Then insulate around the heat trace cable and put your temperature instrument that feeds the controller at a location you consider to be the average temperature.

Hi edge, thank you for your reply. I've been trying to use heat trace cable but it is hard to maintain the temperature at 30C without any insulation.
What sort of insulation do you think i use?

zymil said:
Hi edge, thank you for your reply. I've been trying to use heat trace cable but it is hard to maintain the temperature at 30C without any insulation.
What sort of insulation do you think i use?
I would recommend fiberglas or mineral wool. If you need something with some structural strength you can use calcium silicate.

Related to Electric Blanket for a flow rig

1. What is an electric blanket for a flow rig?

An electric blanket for a flow rig is a specialized type of blanket that is designed to be used in a laboratory setting for experiments involving fluid dynamics. It is typically made of a heat conductive material and contains embedded heating elements that can be controlled to provide a uniform and consistent heat source for the fluid being tested.

2. How does an electric blanket for a flow rig work?

The electric blanket works by using heat conduction to transfer heat to the fluid being tested. The heating elements, usually made of copper or other conductive materials, generate heat when an electrical current is passed through them. The heat is then transferred to the blanket's surface and to the fluid, providing a controlled and precise heat source for the experiment.

3. What are the benefits of using an electric blanket for a flow rig?

There are several benefits to using an electric blanket for a flow rig. It provides a consistent and controlled heat source, which is crucial for accurate and repeatable results in fluid dynamics experiments. It also allows for a wide range of temperature control, making it suitable for a variety of experiments. Additionally, it is a safer and more efficient alternative to using open flames or hot plates for heating the fluid.

4. How do I choose the right size electric blanket for my flow rig?

The size of the electric blanket needed will depend on the size and dimensions of your flow rig. It is important to choose a blanket that will cover the entire surface of the rig and provide an even heat distribution. It is recommended to measure the dimensions of your flow rig and choose a blanket that is slightly larger to ensure proper coverage.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using an electric blanket for a flow rig?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when using an electric blanket for a flow rig. It is important to make sure the blanket is in good condition and free of any damage before use. It should also be kept away from any flammable materials and not left unattended while in use. It is also recommended to use a temperature controller to prevent overheating and to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use and maintenance.