Elastomer on top of a bending beam

In summary, the conversation revolves around understanding the differences between two setups involving a thin metal layer and a rigid plastic film. In one setup, the metal layer is placed on top of the film and bent to a certain radius, while in the other setup, the film is coated with elastomer before placing the metal layer on top. It is observed that the setup with the elastomer coating tends to have more surface cracks compared to the other setup. The discussion also touches upon the concept of bending beam problem and the importance of finding the neutral axis for each setup. The speaker suggests referring to a basic mechanics of materials book for further analysis and mentions that the strain is proportional to the distance from the neutral axis. They also ask for more information on the
Nefertiti
I'm trying to understand differences between two setups. In one setup I put a thin metal layer on top of a rigid plastic film, which I then bend to a certain radius. The metal is not very prone to crack in itself but with very small bending radius you are able to crack the surface.

If I have rigid plastic film which I then coat with elastomer, and put the thin metal layer on top of the elastomer, I generally get more cracks with given bending radius. If the thickness of these two setups is the same, the bending strain should also be the same. Why then I get more surface cracking with the elastomer than without it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What you have is a bending beam problem, where the beam is composed of two or more materials. The procedure for analyzing should be in any basic mechanics of materials book. You first find the neutral axis for each setup. It's not in the middle because you have materials of different modulus of elasticity. Then you calculate the distance of the metal from the neutral axis for each setup. The strain for a given bend radius is proportional to the distance from the neutral axis. I expect you will find that the material coated with elastomer will have the metai farther from the neutral axis, thus larger strain. But that's just a SWAG, so please calculate and let us know what you find.

Tell us more about the actual construction , materials , dimensions and loading ?

Related to Elastomer on top of a bending beam

1. What is an elastomer on top of a bending beam?

An elastomer on top of a bending beam refers to a material that is placed on the top surface of a beam that is being bent or flexed. The elastomer is typically a rubber-like material that can deform and stretch as the beam moves, helping to distribute the stress and strain on the beam.

2. How does an elastomer affect the bending behavior of a beam?

The presence of an elastomer on top of a bending beam can change the distribution of stress and strain on the beam, leading to a more uniform and controlled bending behavior. The elastomer also acts as a cushion, absorbing some of the energy and reducing the overall stress on the beam.

3. What are some common applications of an elastomer on top of a bending beam?

Elastomers on top of bending beams are commonly used in various engineering and mechanical systems, such as in suspension systems for vehicles, vibration dampening systems, and in robotics for flexible joints.

4. How do different types of elastomers affect the bending behavior of a beam?

Different types of elastomers, such as natural rubber, silicone, or polyurethane, have varying levels of flexibility, stiffness, and durability. These properties can affect the bending behavior of a beam differently, so it is important to carefully select the appropriate elastomer for the desired application.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using an elastomer on top of a bending beam?

While elastomers can be beneficial in certain applications, there are also limitations and drawbacks to consider. For example, excessive bending or flexing can cause the elastomer to wear out and fail over time. Additionally, the thickness and properties of the elastomer must be carefully chosen to ensure it does not hinder the overall function of the beam.