Elastic Collision using Special Relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a perfectly elastic collision between two particles, one of which is moving with 10 times its rest mass energy. The goal is to find the final kinetic energies and angles of both particles after the collision, using the relationship between rest mass energy and kinetic energy. The conversation also mentions using conservation of momentum and working in the center of mass frame.
sanjewierden

Homework Statement

I was given the following problem and I an trying to discover if it can be answered by transforming to the center of mass frame and then transforming back.

"Consider a perfectly elastic collision between a particle moving with kinetic energy 10 times its rest mass energy and an identical particle at rest. After the collision the incident particle is moving in a direction 10 degrees deflected from its original path. Find the final kinetic energies of both particles and the angle of the path of the struck particle relative to the incident direction."

The Attempt at a Solution

I started using the relationship of the rest mass energy to show
KE= ρ^2/(2m) = ((γ^2)/2)*m*v^2
so 20= (γ^2)(β^2) thus, β=sqrt(20/21) and γ=sqrt(21)

then I used conservation of momentum and conservation of momentum to try and answer the question. I tried it using a transform to the center of mass frame but I want to be sure that this is even possible. I always get confused when doing these transformations as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi. Welcome to Physics Forums.

Isn't the kinetic energy given by [itex]KE=mc^2(\gamma -1)[/itex], in which case γ=11?

Related to Elastic Collision using Special Relativity

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two bodies that conserves kinetic energy and momentum. This means that the total energy and momentum of the two bodies before and after the collision are equal.

2. How is special relativity applied to elastic collisions?

In special relativity, the laws of physics are the same for all observers moving at constant velocities. This means that the conservation of energy and momentum in elastic collisions must also hold true for observers in different reference frames.

3. What are the equations used to calculate elastic collisions using special relativity?

The equations used are the conservation of energy and momentum equations, which are modified to take into account the effects of special relativity. These equations are E = mc^2 and p = mv, where E is energy, m is mass, c is the speed of light, p is momentum, and v is velocity.

4. Are there any real-life applications of elastic collisions using special relativity?

Yes, understanding elastic collisions using special relativity is important in fields such as astrophysics, particle physics, and nuclear physics. It is also used in the development of technologies such as particle accelerators and nuclear reactors.

5. How does the speed of light affect elastic collisions in special relativity?

In special relativity, the speed of light is considered to be the maximum speed that anything can travel. As a result, the equations for elastic collisions must take into account the relationship between energy, mass, and the speed of light. This can result in different outcomes compared to classical mechanics where the speed of light is not a limiting factor.