Elastic collision. to find values

In summary, the conversation is about a collision between two objects, a 100kg object and a 50kg object, with different velocities and angles. The goal is to find the velocities of the objects after the collision. The expert summarizes that the key equations needed for solving this problem are the conservation of momentum in both the x and y directions, as well as the conservation of kinetic energy in an elastic collision. However, the equations provided by the instructor were incorrect and did not take into account the angle and theta. The expert suggests writing a separate equation for the y direction and using the given angles and theta to solve for the unknown velocities.
shin777
14ka78y.jpg

Ok.. So basically 100kg object V100 is coming from left to right at 20m/s and 50kg object V50 is coming from right to left at 35m/s and make collision. They get pushed away like on picture.
I need to find V50 and V100 but from the looks of it, I need to find angle theta to find an answer. How do I find angle theta? It looks like I can use sin^2 + cos^2 = 1 but I just can't put it together. Need some help. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation formed for momentum is not correct. You lack some concept i guess. You are not using the LAW OF CONSERVATION OF MOMENTUM Correctly.

HINT: This is a two dimension collission, so the momentum would be conserved in both dimensions

Can you be more specific and give me correct equation then? I used exact same equations that my instructor used except the one I did in class didn't have bounce off angle of 30 degree and theta.

You have written an expression for the conservation of momentum in the x-direction. But momentum is also conserved (independently) in the y-direction. So you can write another equation expressing that conservation. That will give you three equations in three unknowns (1: conservation of KE in an elastic collision; 2: conservation of momentum in x-direction; 3: conservation of momentum in y-direction, and unknowns V50, V100 and θ).

I am sorry but I still don't get it. If the angle wasn't presented, I can solve this but with these angles, I just don't know what to do anymore. I can get another equation which is

2(V100)^2 + (V50)^2 = 3250 but I need to find out value for V100 or V50 to solve it and I can't figure out how coz of angle 30 and theta. :(

shin777 said:
I am sorry but I still don't get it. If the angle wasn't presented, I can solve this but with these angles, I just don't know what to do anymore. I can get another equation which is

2(V100)^2 + (V50)^2 = 3250 but I need to find out value for V100 or V50 to solve it and I can't figure out how coz of angle 30 and theta. :(

Write a conservation of momentum equation for the y-direction. What's the initial momentum in the y-direction?

I really don't understand anything anymore. Can somebody please show me how it's done? I am on this for almost 2 hours now and getting nowhere. I really don't understand look up equations and stuff because this class I am taking don't even use a book but just bunch of printed out papers that only has problems written without clear explanation or answers. I take notes from what my instructor writes on board and anything different from the ones he does in class, I can't seem to solve. If it's something he does in class just with different numbers, no problem but problem like this that adds extra element without telling me how to do, I have no idea. I would've gone to see tutor if I had time to visit them but my schedules are full. :(

The replies you've already had are pretty clear - don't know if I can explain it any better, but here goes.
Do you understand that linear momentum is a vector, so conservation of momentum in two dimensions gives you two equations - one in the 'x' direction and one in the 'y' direction?
You have written out an equation for conservation of momentum in the x direction (but it's wrong - you've used sin of theta, which is the velocity in the y direction). Correct that, and write another equation for the y direction. You will then have enough equations to solve the problem.

Related to Elastic collision. to find values

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects in which both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the total energy and momentum before the collision is equal to the total energy and momentum after the collision.

2. How do you calculate the final velocities in an elastic collision?

The final velocities in an elastic collision can be calculated using the conservation of energy and momentum equations. These equations involve the masses and initial velocities of the objects, as well as the coefficient of restitution, which is a measure of how much energy is lost during the collision.

3. What is the coefficient of restitution?

The coefficient of restitution is a number that represents the ratio of the relative velocity of two objects after a collision to the relative velocity before the collision. It is a measure of how "bouncy" or "elastic" a collision is. A higher coefficient of restitution indicates a more elastic collision, while a lower coefficient of restitution indicates a more inelastic collision.

4. Can an elastic collision occur between two objects of different masses?

Yes, an elastic collision can occur between two objects of different masses. In an elastic collision, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved, regardless of the masses of the objects involved.

5. What is the difference between an elastic collision and an inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved, while in an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved. This means that in an inelastic collision, some of the initial kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound. In an elastic collision, the objects bounce off each other without losing any kinetic energy.