Eigenstates of two Coupled Harmonic Oscillator

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of two quantum oscillators coupled to each other and the process of finding the eigenstates and eigenvalues for a subspace of the Fock space. The Hamiltonian of the system is given, and the speakers explore different methods of diagonalizing it, including using a canonical transformation and finding two operators that satisfy certain conditions. The conversation concludes by noting that there will be infinitely many eigenstates of the Hamiltonian.
Esquer
Hello everyone! For my quantum mechanics class I have to study the problem of two quantum oscillator coupled to each other and in particular to find the eigenstates and eigenergies for a subspace of the Fock space.
I know that, in general, to solve this kind of problem I have to diagonalize the hamiltonian of the system that in this case is the following one:
$$
H=\hbar\omega_0 (a^+a+b^+b)+\hbar J(a^+b+b^+a)
$$
with a and b bosonic creation and annhilation operator for the two harmonic oscillator.
What I do not understand is how to write the matrix in a given subspace. For example in the case of one quanta of energy present in the oscillators my two eigenstate would be: |00> a superposition of |01> and |10> (one quanta of energy in the first oscillator and 0 in the second one and viceversa). Is that correct?
I don't know how to set the problem,
thank to everyone for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you said is correct on the state with one quanta of energy.

In order to diagonalize the operator, you need to find the eigenvalues and eigenstates of the operator. To do this write a general state, which would be a superposition of ##|m n\rangle## states, then act upon this state by ##H##, and require it to be an eigenstate. Since ##H## contains creation and annihilation operator, the computation is straightforward. I am wondering, however, what is ##J## in your equation?

Sorry I forgot to specify, J is the coupling coefficient between the two cavities

Another trick is to find a canonical transformation (Bogoliubov transformation) of the annihilation operators,
$$\begin{pmatrix} a \\ b \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} \cos \varphi & \sin \varphi \\
-\sin \varphi & \cos \varphi \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} \alpha \\ \beta \end{pmatrix}$$
such that your Hamiltonian becomes "diagonalized",
$$H=\hbar (\omega_1 \alpha^{\dagger} \alpha + \omega_2 \beta^{\dagger} \beta).$$

Likes DrClaude
vanhees71 said:
nother trick is to find a canonical transformation (Bogoliubov transformation) of the annihilation operators,
(ab)=(cosφsinφ−sinφcosφ)(αβ)​
\begin{pmatrix} a \\ b \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} \cos \varphi & \sin \varphi \\ -\sin \varphi & \cos \varphi \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} \alpha \\ \beta \end{pmatrix}
such that your Hamiltonian becomes "diagonalized",
H=ℏ(ω1α†α+ω2β†β).​
With that it would be actually preatty easy. But if I want to find the matrix form such $$H \begin{pmatrix} n_a \\ n_b \end{pmatrix} = E \begin{pmatrix} n_a \\ n_b \end{pmatrix}$$ what should I do?

Esquer said:
With that it would be actually preatty easy. But if I want to find the matrix form such $$H \begin{pmatrix} n_a \\ n_b \end{pmatrix} = E \begin{pmatrix} n_a \\ n_b \end{pmatrix}$$ what should I do?

You're not going to find that, because there will be infinitely many eigenstates of [itex]H[/itex], and the way you've written it assumes that there are just two. As vanhees71 suggested, you have to find two operators [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] such that:
  1. [itex]H = \hbar \omega_1 \alpha^\dagger \alpha + \hbar \omega_2 \beta^\dagger \beta + C[/itex] (for some constants [itex]\omega_1, \omega_2, C[/itex]).
  2. [itex] \alpha \alpha^\dagger - \alpha^\dagger \alpha = 1[/itex]
  3. [itex] \beta \beta^\dagger - \beta^\dagger \beta= 1[/itex]
  4. [itex] \alpha \beta - \beta \alpha = \alpha^\dagger \beta - \beta \alpha^\dagger = 0[/itex]
Then you can let [itex]|0\rangle[/itex] be some state such that [itex]\alpha|0\rangle = \beta|0\rangle = 0[/itex]. Then every state of the form [itex](\alpha^\dagger)^n (\beta^\dagger)^m |0\rangle[/itex], which we can write as [itex]C_{nm} |n, m\rangle[/itex], for some normalization constant [itex]C_{nm}[/itex], will be an eigenstate of [itex]H[/itex], whose eigenvalues you can work out using the example of the simple harmonic oscillator. You can't represent [itex]|n,m\rangle[/itex] as a column matrix unless you use infinitely many rows.

Related to Eigenstates of two Coupled Harmonic Oscillator

1. What are eigenstates in a two coupled harmonic oscillator?

Eigenstates in a two coupled harmonic oscillator refer to the distinct energy states that the system can exist in. These states are described by quantum numbers and correspond to specific energy levels of the system.

2. How do eigenstates differ from eigenvalues?

Eigenvalues are the numerical values associated with the energy states of a system, while eigenstates are the actual states themselves. Eigenvalues represent the energy levels that a system can occupy, while eigenstates describe the specific quantum state of the system at a given energy level.

3. How are the eigenstates of a two coupled harmonic oscillator calculated?

The eigenstates of a two coupled harmonic oscillator are calculated using the Hamiltonian operator, which is a mathematical representation of the energy of the system. The eigenstates are found by solving the Schrodinger equation for the system, which involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian operator.

4. What is the significance of eigenstates in quantum mechanics?

Eigenstates play a crucial role in quantum mechanics as they provide a complete description of the energy states and properties of a system. They are used to calculate probabilities of a system occupying different energy levels and to predict the behavior of the system under various conditions.

5. Can two coupled harmonic oscillators have the same eigenstate?

Yes, two coupled harmonic oscillators can have the same eigenstate. This means that both oscillators are in the same quantum state and have the same energy level. However, the probability of this occurring is very low, and it is more likely that the oscillators will have slightly different energies and be in different quantum states.