Eigenstates of Rashba Spin-Orbit Hamiltonian

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the energy eigenvalues and corresponding spinor wavefunctions for the Rashba Hamiltonian describing a 2D electron gas interacting with a perpendicular electric field. The solution involves using an ansatz and diagonalizing the Hamiltonian to find the energies, but the method for finding the eigenspinors is unclear. The final solution has the form of a spinor with an angle term representing the direction of the wavevector.
korialstasz

Homework Statement

I am given the Rashba Hamiltonian which describes a 2D electron gas interacting with a perpendicular electric field, of the form
$$H = \frac{p^2}{2m^2} + \frac{\alpha}{\hbar}\left(p_x \sigma_y - p_y \sigma_x\right)$$
I am asked to find the energy eigenvalues and corresponding spinor wavefunctions

Homework Equations

I am given the hint to use the ansatz
$$\psi = e^{ik_x x} e^{ik_y y} (\phi_1 \hat{x} + \phi_2 \hat{y})$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I have diagonalized the Hamiltonian and found the energies to be
$$E = \frac{\hbar^2k^2}{2m} \pm \alpha k$$
But I am at a loss how to proceed with finding the eigenspinors. I don't even really understand the hint, since the hatted vectors aren't spinors at all. I have seen the solutions in papers but cannot find how to actually solve for them. The solutions have the form
$$e^{i\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{x}} \left(
\genfrac{}{}{0pt}{}{1}{\pm i e^{i\theta}}
\right)$$
where [itex]\theta[/itex] the angle [itex]\vec{k}[/itex] makes with the x-axis.

Physics news on Phys.org
My understanding is that spinor in this case means eigenvector. So, you should find the eigenvectors corresponding to the energy eigenvalues which you already computed. In other words finding the unknown numbers ##\phi_1## and ##\phi_2##.

Related to Eigenstates of Rashba Spin-Orbit Hamiltonian

What are eigenstates of Rashba Spin-Orbit Hamiltonian?

Eigenstates of Rashba Spin-Orbit Hamiltonian are the possible quantum states of a particle in a system with spin-orbit coupling described by the Rashba Hamiltonian. These eigenstates represent the different energy levels that the particle can occupy in the system, and they are characterized by a specific spin and momentum.

How do eigenstates of Rashba Spin-Orbit Hamiltonian affect the energy spectrum?

The eigenstates of Rashba Spin-Orbit Hamiltonian can split the energy spectrum into two branches due to the spin-orbit coupling. This splitting is known as the Rashba splitting and it can be observed in various physical systems, such as semiconductors and heterostructures.

What is the significance of Rashba Spin-Orbit Hamiltonian in spintronics?

Rashba Spin-Orbit Hamiltonian plays a crucial role in spintronics, which is the study and manipulation of electron spin for potential applications in electronic devices. The Rashba coupling allows for the control and manipulation of electron spin states, making it a key component in spin-based devices.

Can the eigenstates of Rashba Spin-Orbit Hamiltonian be experimentally observed?

Yes, the eigenstates of Rashba Spin-Orbit Hamiltonian can be observed experimentally using various techniques such as angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy (ARPES) and scanning tunneling microscopy (STM). These techniques allow for the measurement of the energy levels and spin states of the particles in the system.

How does the strength of Rashba coupling affect the eigenstates of Rashba Spin-Orbit Hamiltonian?

The strength of Rashba coupling determines the energy splitting between the two branches of the energy spectrum. A stronger coupling leads to a larger energy splitting and thus a more pronounced Rashba effect. This can be controlled by adjusting the material properties and external electric fields in the system.