Effect of wind shear on noise propagation

In summary, the conversation is about finding a source of information that quantifies how wind shear affects the propagation of sound and noise. The speaker mentions that they are aware of the basics of wind shear and sound wave bending but are looking for something that helps calculate the effect. Another speaker suggests checking out two Wikipedia pages and provides some information on how wind shear can affect sound propagation. They also mention that this information is useful for environmental engineers when assessing noise pollution. The conversation ends with one speaker expressing their need to visit a bookshop for more information.
CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Can anyone recommend a source of information that quantifies how wind shear effects the propagation of sound/noise?

I know the basics in that wind shear either bends sound waves upwards or downwards but I'm looking for something that helps calculate the effect.

Physics news on Phys.org
The forward or rearward tilt angle of the sound wave front due to windshear will, I think be due the difference in speed of the sound at a height above ground.
I started thinking about this but came to an impasse. I don't know whether you have been here already but these are my thoughts:
The speed of the sound over the ground is c + v, where c is the speed of sound and v is the speed the air is travelling. So, if at height h, the air speed is Δv greater than the the speed on the ground, the wave front at h will be Δv faster. I thought that it should be possible to draw a triangle and work out the angle but, of course, in this simple model, the slope would depend upon time since the sound was launched (the dimensions are wrong unless you use tΔv). The sound in the higher air will, in fact, gradually overtake the sound on the ground. In fact, of course, sound would normally originate on the ground and the path of the sound energy launched at an upward angle to the ground would follow a curved path up and over the ground wave. The simple notion of 'wave tilt' really isn't enough to solve the problem. What you really need to be doing is to equate the propagation time along the curved aerial path to the time of the slower ground wave. At some distance, these will be equal and you will get a focussing effect. At this point I decided it was too hard for a Saturday evening.
I found a lot of rather useless links concerning the effect that the wind had on the progress of Civil war battles due to sound propagation and there was a lot of arm waving on the subject but I found precious little about the actual mechanics. I did find this link, which may be a start for you. At least it manages to have some equations, diagrams and references.

CWatters said:
Can anyone recommend a source of information that quantifies how wind shear effects the propagation of sound/noise?

I know the basics in that wind shear either bends sound waves upwards or downwards but I'm looking for something that helps calculate the effect.

Yes, Please see the following two Wiki pages for a few introductory remarks. To get intricate details of the mechanism, please see the three references shown.

"Wind shear can have a pronounced effect upon sound propagation in the lower atmosphere, where waves can be "bent" by refraction phenomenon. The audibility of sounds from distant sources, such as thunder or gunshots, is very dependent on the amount of shear."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_shear

"Effects due to wind shear
The speed of sound varies with temperature. Since temperature and sound velocity normally decrease with increasing altitude, sound is refracted upward, away from listeners on the ground, creating an acoustic shadow at some distance from the source.[2] Wind shear of 4 m•s−1•km−1 can produce refraction equal to a typical temperature lapse rate of 7.5 °C/km.[5] Higher values of wind gradient will refract sound downward toward the surface in the downwind direction,[6] eliminating the acoustic shadow on the downwind side. This will increase the audibility of sounds downwind. This downwind refraction effect occurs because there is a wind gradient; the sound is not being carried along by the wind.[7]

5. Uman, Martin (1984). Lightning. New York: Dover Publications. ISBN 0-486-64575-4.

6. Volland, Hans (1995). Handbook of Atmospheric Electrodynamics. Boca Raton: CRC Press. p. 22. ISBN 0-8493-8647-0.

7. Singal, S. (2005). Noise Pollution and Control Strategy. Alpha Science International, Ltd. p. 7. ISBN 1-84265-237-0. "It may be seen that refraction effects occur only because there is a wind gradient and it is not due to the result of sound being convected along by the wind."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_sound

Note: These data are typically used by environmental engineers while assessing sound propagation from noise sources that may pollute habitable spaces.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Thanks for that. I can see I'm going to have to take a trip to a good book shop.

I can provide some information on the effect of wind shear on noise propagation. Wind shear refers to the change in wind speed or direction with altitude, and it can have a significant impact on the propagation of sound waves.

One source of information that quantifies the effect of wind shear on noise propagation is a scientific study published in the Journal of the Acoustical Society of America titled "Effects of wind shear on sound propagation in the atmospheric boundary layer" (https://asa.scitation.org/doi/full/10.1121/1.4938162). This study used numerical simulations to analyze the effects of wind shear on sound propagation and found that it can significantly alter the sound levels at different distances from the source.

Another source of information is a report published by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) titled "Wind Shear and Its Effects on Noise Exposure" (https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/noise/). This report provides a comprehensive overview of wind shear and its impact on noise exposure, particularly in the context of aircraft operations.

In terms of calculating the effect of wind shear on noise propagation, there are various models and software programs available that can help with this. For example, the Wind Shear Acoustics Model (WSAM) developed by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) can be used to predict the effects of wind shear on aircraft noise (https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20150008524.pdf).

Overall, there are several sources of information available that can help quantify the effect of wind shear on noise propagation. It is important to consider factors such as wind speed, direction, and atmospheric conditions when analyzing this phenomenon, and these sources can provide valuable insights and calculations for understanding the impact of wind shear on noise.

Related to Effect of wind shear on noise propagation

1. How does wind shear impact noise propagation?

Wind shear is a change in wind speed and direction over a short distance. This can greatly affect the propagation of noise, as it can cause disruptions and turbulence in the air, resulting in fluctuations in noise levels.

2. What factors contribute to the effect of wind shear on noise propagation?

The main factors that contribute to the effect of wind shear on noise propagation are wind speed, wind direction, and the temperature and moisture levels in the air. These factors can all influence the intensity and direction of sound waves, which in turn affects how noise travels through the air.

3. How does wind shear impact noise levels at different distances?

Wind shear can have varying effects on noise levels at different distances from the source of the noise. In general, wind shear can cause fluctuations in noise levels, making it difficult to predict the exact impact on noise levels at different distances. However, in some cases, wind shear can also cause noise to be amplified or attenuated at certain distances.

4. Can wind shear affect noise propagation in all types of environments?

Yes, wind shear can affect noise propagation in all types of environments, including urban, suburban, and rural areas. However, the specific impact of wind shear on noise levels may vary depending on the surrounding terrain, buildings, and other factors.

5. How can wind shear be mitigated to reduce its impact on noise propagation?

There are several ways to mitigate the impact of wind shear on noise propagation. These include using noise barriers or buffers to disrupt the flow of air and reduce turbulence, adjusting the orientation of noise sources to minimize the effects of wind direction, and using sound-absorbing materials to reduce the intensity of noise waves.