Effect of orientation on friction power of an I.C.E.

In summary, the discussion revolves around a project that involved determining the frictional power of an I.C. Engine using a motoring test. It was found that there was a reduction in frictional power when the engine was mounted in a horizontal orientation. The possible reasons for this reduction were speculated, including improvements in the lubrication system and reduction in losses to auxiliary systems. Other factors such as the position of the engine and the speed at which it was motoring were also considered. The discussion concludes with the possibility that the reduction in frictional power could be due to the differences in torque provided by the belt drive.
windtalker
hello all...

A part of my final year project involves the determination of frictional power of an I.C.Engine(for this we used a 4cyl isuzu si engine) using a typical motoring test(using a 3ph ind motor and the engine was stripped of all its accessories liek alternator water pump), and finding out if there would be a reduction in frictional power if we mounted the engine in diff orientation(horizontal like a flat 4 or a boxer only all cyl were inline).

Well we were able to get a reduction of between 9-1.4% reduction in friction with variation in speeds(the % diff reduces with increase in speed).

Now to what exactly can we attribute this reduction in fp?

Would be extremely grateful if anyone could explain this to me.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Out of curiosity, did you happen to notice any deviations in power as well?

The first thing that comes to mind for this is possibly an improvement was made to the lubrication system either in terms of delivery or drainage. Can you elaborate a bit more on the orientation that you saw the improvement with?

Well we actually never ran the engine, we were basically conducting a motoring test that is using a motor to run the engine using a belt drive.

About the orientation:
The standard position of an engine would be vertical that is the piston would reciprocate up and down.
We rotate the engine by 90 degrees so that the piston reciprocates horizontally rather than vertically.

Sounds like you're reducing losses to auxilliary systems by stopping the oil pump strainer from sucking. Or something like that anyway.

Yes there were no auxiliary systems connected when we ran the tests in both the orientation.Could there be a difference in the crank train or valve train losses if the engine reciprocated in the horizontal plane?
What about the piston assembly?
What could the reduction be attributed to is my question, since we did get a reduction in power consumption of the motor when in the horizontal orientation.

Is the engine's oil pan filled with oil? If you tip and engine that was meant to run vertically on it's side, the oil will fill into the block and cause some losses due to the viscous oil that the crankshaft is having to run through.

There isn't really any fundamental reason why an engine would run more efficiently on a horizontal plane versus a vertical one; however, an engine designed to run in a specific orientation will not have proper oil delivery in the opposite case. It's also very possible an engine tipped on it's side will leak a significant amount of oil through it's valve cover breathers, but that wouldn't really cause a loss in power until the engine ran out of oil.

Mech_Engineer said:
It's also very possible an engine tipped on it's side will leak a significant amount of oil through it's valve cover breathers, but that wouldn't really cause a loss in power until the engine ran out of oil.

But it's entirely possible that it could cause an increase in apparent power if the losses to the oil pump were reduced by lack of oil feed.

brewnog said:
But it's entirely possible that it could cause an increase in apparent power if the losses to the oil pump were reduced by lack of oil feed.

Perhaps, but it depends on how fast the engine if running (RPM). It sounds to me like their test jig involves an electric motor that is rotating the crankshaft on the engine and measuring required torque to do so. If this is indeed the case unless the engine is being turned exceptionally quickly the oil pump would present a negligible required torque compared to say the pistons and the cylinder walls.

Mech_Engineer said:
Perhaps, but it depends on how fast the engine if running (RPM). It sounds to me like their test jig involves an electric motor that is rotating the crankshaft on the engine and measuring required torque to do so. If this is indeed the case unless the engine is being turned exceptionally quickly the oil pump would present a negligible required torque compared to say the pistons and the cylinder walls.

I disagree, frictional losses from piston walls and bearings increase exponentially with engine speed, where the losses to an oil pump can be considerable at low speeds; compare the work required to pump oil with the work required to pump air, it's definitely to the order of a percent or so of the gross engine power. This explanation also ties in with the difference being less at higher speeds. Besides, the frictional losses to piston walls and bearings are there regardless of orientation.

However, I still don't think this stacks up. I'm struggling to think of any other reason why an engine assembly will take less power to motor when run in a different orientation.

Windtalker:
Was the engine still being lubricated in both instances?
What speed were you motoring the engine at?
What else changed between your tests?

windtalker said:
Well we actually never ran the engine, we were basically conducting a motoring test that is using a motor to run the engine using a belt drive.
I'm confused here, do you mean you turned the engine shaft with an external motor using a belt, without actually having combustion inside the engine ?
Just if that is the case, perhaps the differences have to do with the way the belt provides torque to the shaft, provided you turned the shaft but not the belt also, versus the difference in required torque while turning the shaft for different angles that I'd expect to exist.

Last edited:
Aero Stud said:
I'm confused here, do you mean you turned the engine shaft with an external motor using a belt, without actually having combustion inside the engine ?
Just if that is the case, perhaps the differences have to do with the way the belt provides torque to the shaft, provided you turned the shaft but not the belt also, versus the difference in required torque while turning the shaft for different angles that I'd expect to exist.

That's a clever thought; perhaps the motored drive was putting a different load on the crankshaft bearings (and gear train) when you turned the engine on its side, causing more friction to be witnessed?

Mech_Engineer said:
Perhaps, but it depends on how fast the engine if running (RPM). It sounds to me like their test jig involves an electric motor that is rotating the crankshaft on the engine and measuring required torque to do so.

Yes this is exactly our test jig.
@brewnog
Was the engine still being lubricated in both instances?
What speed were you motoring the engine at?
What else changed between your tests?

Well the engine was not being lubricated using a pump although it has considerable amount of lube oil inside it.

The engine was being motored between 250-1800rpm.

I don't see any other changes being made in between the tests.Also the frictional power that is the power input to the motor reduced when in horizontal plane.@Aero Stud:

The engine itself was turned without making any changes to the motor or the belt except for alignment purposes.

Aero Stud said:

Combustion was not taking place inside the motor.

Last edited:
Hello all..

Id like to ask another question here,we have seen single cylinder engines on many bikes being put in the horizontal axis,what advantage or savings in power could this possibly bring.(honda c series, mobex regina see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_cylinder_engine)
I think the balancing of forces of the vertical motion of the piston need not be done here..so will tht contribute in any way to a reduction in frictional power??

Related to Effect of orientation on friction power of an I.C.E.

1. What is the effect of orientation on friction power of an I.C.E.?

The orientation of an internal combustion engine (I.C.E.) can have a significant impact on its friction power. Friction power refers to the energy lost due to friction between moving engine components. This can vary depending on the orientation of the engine and its internal parts.

2. How does the orientation affect the friction power of an I.C.E.?

The orientation of an I.C.E. can affect the friction power in several ways. For example, if the engine is tilted at an angle, the oil distribution may be uneven, leading to increased friction. Similarly, the position of the pistons and cylinders can also impact the friction power.

3. Are there certain orientations that are more efficient in terms of friction power?

Yes, there are certain orientations that are more efficient in terms of friction power. Generally, a horizontal orientation is considered to be more efficient as it allows for better oil distribution and reduces the impact of gravity on moving parts. However, this may vary depending on the design and components of the specific engine.

4. Is there a way to minimize the impact of orientation on friction power?

Yes, there are ways to minimize the impact of orientation on friction power. Proper lubrication and regular maintenance can help reduce friction and improve overall efficiency. Additionally, selecting an optimal orientation for the engine and its components can also help minimize the impact of friction power.

5. How important is considering orientation for an I.C.E. in terms of overall performance?

The orientation of an I.C.E. can have a significant impact on its overall performance. In addition to affecting friction power, it can also impact other factors such as fuel efficiency, power output, and engine longevity. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the orientation when designing or maintaining an I.C.E.