Easy Limits Q. Homework: Show $\lim_{x\to2}\frac{x+1}{x+2}=\frac{3}{4}$

• Thread starter quanticism
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
Thanks for pointing that out!So we have |x-2|<4e|x+2| and we can choose delta to be 4e? So then we have |x-2|<4e<4e|x+2| which is useful.In summary, to prove that \lim_{x\to 2}\frac{x+1}{x+2}=\frac{3}{4}, we need to show that for any \epsilon>0, there exists a \delta>0 such that if |x-2|<\delta, then |\frac{x+1}{x+2}-\frac{3}{4}|<\epsilon. By manipulating the expression, we get |x-2
quanticism

Homework Statement

Show that
[tex]
\lim_{x\to2}\frac{x+1}{x+2}=\frac{3}{4}.
[/tex]

Homework Equations

Let
[tex]\epsilon>0 [/tex]. We seek a number [tex]\delta>0[/tex]: if [tex]|x-2|<\delta[/tex] then [tex]|\frac{x+1}{x+2}-\frac{3}{4}|<\epsilon.[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Now
[tex]
|\frac{x+1}{x+2}-\frac{3}{4}|=|\frac{4x+4-3x-6}{4(x+2)}|=|\frac{x-2}{4(x+2)}|.
[/tex]

So for
[tex]
|\frac{x+1}{x+2}-\frac{3}{4}|<\epsilon[/tex], we require [tex]|\frac{x-2}{4(x+2)}|<\epsilon.
[/tex]

ie.
[tex]
|\frac{x-2}{x+2}|<4\epsilon.
[/tex]

I got stuck here since I'm not sure how to express
[tex]
|\frac{x-2}{x+2}|
[/tex]
in terms of |x-2|

Physics news on Phys.org
So, |x-2| < 4e|x+2| = delta...

Berko said:
So, |x-2| < 4e|x+2| = delta...

Don't we have to express delta as a function of epsilon only?

[strike]Or am I meant to argue that since we're looking in the neighbourhood around x=2, we can choose delta to be <4e|4|=16e. But this statement doesn't really click with me so if it's true, can someone clarify why this works[/strike]

Edit: Pretty sure that ^ isn't going down the right track.

Last edited:
You are supposed to get [tex]\delta[/tex] in terms of [tex]\epsilon[/tex] only. Try this write x+2 = x-2+4, and divide both the numerator and denominator by (x-2). Now the entire expression contains only (x-2). Now can you simplify this further?.

Hint: use |a|+|b| >= |a+b|

Oh wow. That certainly worked out nicely :) I got
[tex]|x-2|<\frac{4\epsilon}{1-\epsilon}.[/tex]

But would that mean we epsilon needs to be chosen so that [tex]0<\epsilon<1[/tex]? But this is a limits question so I guess we're only really concerned about when [tex]\epsilon[/tex] is small.

quanticism said:
Oh wow. That certainly worked out nicely :) I got
[tex]|x-2|<\frac{4\epsilon}{1-\epsilon}.[/tex]

But would that mean we epsilon needs to be chosen so that [tex]0<\epsilon<1[/tex]? But this is a limits question so I guess we're only really concerned about when [tex]\epsilon[/tex] is small.

Can you recheck your calculations? Because I got,

[tex] |x-2} < \frac{16\epsilon}{1-4\epsilon}[/tex]

with the way you had defined the problem. Of course its only a matter of redefinition of [tex]\epsilon[/tex], but it is always advisable to use the same notation everywhere.

And yes, since we are working with limits, we are only concerned about when [tex]\epsilon[/tex] is small

[tex]|x- 2|< \frac{\epsilon}{|x+ 2|}[/tex]

I would have been inclined to say:

If |x- 2|< 1, then -1< x- 2< 1 so that 3< x+ 2< 5 and |x+ 2|< 5 That means that
[tex]\frac{1}{5}< \frac{1}{|x+ 2|}[/tex]
so that
[tex]\frac{\epsilon}{5}< \frac{\epsilon}{|x+ 2|}[/tex]

That is, as long as |x- 2|< 1, we can take
[tex]\delta= \frac{\epsilon}{5}[/itex]
If |x- 2|< \delta, then it is also less than [itex]\epsilon/5< \epsilon/|x+2|[/itex] and, working backwards,
[tex]\left|\frac{x+1}{x+ 2}- \frac{3}{4}\right|< \epsilon[/tex]
as you wanted.

and then, working backwards,
[tex]\left|\frac{x+ 1}{x+ 2}- \frac{3}{4}\right|< \epsilon[/tex].

Of course that "|x- 2|< 1" is also important so we would have to take [itex]\delta[/itex] to be the smaller of [itex]\epsilon/5[/itex] and 1 so that those are both true.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll show what I did and you can point out any errors/invalid algebraic manipulations.

[tex]|\frac{x-2}{x+2}|<\epsilon[/tex] ...(1)
[tex]|\frac{x-2}{x-2+4}| < \epsilon[/tex]
[tex]|\frac{1}{1+\frac{4}{x-2}} <\epsilon[/tex]
Now note that by applying triangle inequality:

[tex]\frac{1}{1+|\frac{4}{x-2}|}} \le \frac{1}{|1+\frac{4}{x-2}}|}[/tex]

So if (1) is true, then
[tex] \frac{1}{1+|\frac{4}{x-2}|} <\epsilon [/tex]
[tex] 1+ |\frac{4}{x-2}| >1/\epsilon[/tex] (valid step since both sides are positive)
[tex] \frac{4}{|x-2|} >\frac{1-\epsilon}{\epsilon} [/tex]
[tex] |x-2|<\frac{4\epsilon}{1-\epsilon} [/tex] (once again, both sides were positive)

Typing in latex is rather time consuming. I should probably just use paint and my tablet.

HallsofIvy said:
[tex]|x- 2|< \frac{\epsilon}{|x+ 2|}[/tex]

Shouldn't it be |x-2|<e|x+2| ?

But apart from that I think I see where you're going.

If |x-2|<1, then |x+2|<5.

So we have |x-2|<5e<e|x+2| ...(1)

So we pick a [tex]\delta[/tex] to be 5e such that 0<[tex]\delta[/tex]<1 which would work if epsilon was small.

Edit: Opps, (1) should be |x-2|<e|x+2|<5e which isn't really useful.

Edit2: If |x-2|<1, then 3<x+2<5 so 3<|x+2|<5

So we have |x-2|<3e<e|x+2|. Now we can choose delta to be 3e? Can't say I'm too convinced with what I did here though.

Last edited:
quanticism said:
I'll show what I did and you can point out any errors/invalid algebraic manipulations.

[tex]|\frac{x-2}{x+2}|<\epsilon[/tex] ...(1)
[tex]|\frac{x-2}{x-2+4}| < \epsilon[/tex]
[tex]|\frac{1}{1+\frac{4}{x-2}} <\epsilon[/tex]
Now note that by applying triangle inequality:

[tex]\frac{1}{1+|\frac{4}{x-2}|}} \le \frac{1}{|1+\frac{4}{x-2}}|}[/tex]

So if (1) is true, then
[tex] \frac{1}{1+|\frac{4}{x-2}|} <\epsilon [/tex]
[tex] 1+ |\frac{4}{x-2}| >1/\epsilon[/tex] (valid step since both sides are positive)
[tex] \frac{4}{|x-2|} >\frac{1-\epsilon}{\epsilon} [/tex]
[tex] |x-2|<\frac{4\epsilon}{1-\epsilon} [/tex] (once again, both sides were positive)

Typing in latex is rather time consuming. I should probably just use paint and my tablet.

Your equation (1) should be

[tex]|\frac{x-2}{x+2}|<4\epsilon[/tex]

check what you wrote in your first post.

praharmitra said:
Your equation (1) should be

[tex]|\frac{x-2}{x+2}|<4\epsilon[/tex]

check what you wrote in your first post.

Ah sorry, you are correct. Guess I was so focused on the x's and epsilons that I forgot about the constant.

Related to Easy Limits Q. Homework: Show $\lim_{x\to2}\frac{x+1}{x+2}=\frac{3}{4}$

1. What is the definition of a limit?

The limit of a function at a certain point is the value that the function approaches as the input approaches that point.

2. How do you solve limits algebraically?

To solve limits algebraically, you can use techniques such as factoring, rationalizing, and simplifying to get the function into a form that can be evaluated at the given point.

3. What does it mean to show a limit?

Showing a limit means proving that the function approaches a specific value as the input approaches a certain point. This can be done through algebraic manipulation, graphing, or using the definition of a limit.

4. What is the Squeeze Theorem and how is it used to solve limits?

The Squeeze Theorem states that if two functions, g(x) and h(x), approach the same limit as x approaches a certain point, and if there is another function, f(x), sandwiched between g(x) and h(x), then f(x) also approaches the same limit. This theorem can be used to solve tricky limits by finding two functions that are easier to evaluate and using them to bound the function in question.

5. How can I use the given information to show that the limit is true?

By using algebraic manipulation, you can show that the limit is true by substituting the given value into the function and simplifying until you reach the desired result. In this case, we can substitute 2 into the function and show that it simplifies to 3/4, thus proving that the limit is true.