Earthing a Conductor: I Have Two Spheres

In summary, when a sphere with free electrons is connected to the Earth through a conducting wire, the excess electrons will flow to the Earth until the charge is balanced. In the case of a positively charged sphere, the electrons from the Earth will flow to the sphere, neutralizing the positive charge. This is due to the voltage difference between the two objects, which creates a force that moves the excess charge from one reservoir to the other. The positive charges in an object, such as protons, are generally immobile and cannot move, unlike the electrons which can be easily moved. Therefore, in both cases, there will be a net imbalance of positive and negative charges unless the two spheres have equal and opposite charges.
Hardik Batra
I have two sphere.

1) one with free electron, if i connected sphere with the Earth by conducting wire all the free electron will flow to the earth.

2) one with positive charge, if i connected sphere with the Earth by conducting wire then the electron from the Earth will flow to the sphere and neutralize the positive charge

Why does this happen ? what this the reason behind this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The voltage difference is equivalent to a force ... which moves the excess charge from one reservoir to the other.

Hardik Batra said:
I have two sphere.

1) one with free electron, if i connected sphere with the Earth by conducting wire all the free electron will flow to the earth.

2) one with positive charge, if i connected sphere with the Earth by conducting wire then the electron from the Earth will flow to the sphere and neutralize the positive charge

Why does this happen ? what this the reason behind this?

Not 'all' the surplus electrons will flow to the Earth. The flow will stop when the charge is shared appropriately between Earth and the conductor.
The same thing will apply to the positively charged conductor.
In both cases there will be a net imbalance of + and - charges unless the two spheres have equal and opposite charges.

UltrafastPED said:
The voltage difference is equivalent to a force ... which moves the excess charge from one reservoir to the other.

In first condition,
the first sphere has excess of electron that will flow to the ground.

but happens in the second case.

Why the electron will flow from Earth to the sphere.

Hardik Batra said:
but happens in the second case.

Why the electron will flow from Earth to the sphere.

Because a potential difference (voltage) exists between the sphere and the Earth. The electrons in the ground are attracted to the positive charge of the sphere and move towards it until the voltage between the ground and the sphere is zero.

Likes 1 person
Drakkith said:
Because a potential difference (voltage) exists between the sphere and the Earth. The electrons in the ground are attracted to the positive charge of the sphere and move towards it until the voltage between the ground and the sphere is zero.

Earth has infinite number of free electron.
And it has greater attraction force on positively charge sphere.
then why the positive charge will not go from sphere to earth.?

Have a think about where the +ve charges are in an atom.

Hardik Batra said:

Because most positive charges are not mobile. It is always much easier to move electrons.

UltrafastPED said:
Because most positive charges are not mobile. It is always much easier to move electrons.

But moving electrons Away from an object is totally the equivalent of adding Positive charge.

Hardik Batra said:

The positive charges are the protons inside the nucleus of the atoms. These are generally immobile and cannot move, unlike the electrons which exist in the electron cloud around the nucleus and can be made to move fairly easily.

I like the way sophiecentaur puts it. Positive charge does move, positively charged particles do not.

Last edited:

Related to Earthing a Conductor: I Have Two Spheres

What is "Earthing a Conductor"?

"Earthing a conductor" is a process in which a conductive object, such as a metal sphere, is connected to the ground by a wire. This allows for the transfer of electric charge between the object and the ground, creating a neutral charge.

Why would you need to "Earth a Conductor"?

Earthing a conductor is important for safety purposes. It helps to prevent the build-up of static electricity, which can be dangerous and even cause fires. It also helps to protect electronic devices from power surges.

How do you "Earth a Conductor"?

To earth a conductor, a wire is attached to the conductive object and then connected to a metal rod or plate that is buried in the ground. The wire allows for the transfer of electric charge between the object and the ground.

What are the benefits of "Earthing a Conductor"?

Earthing a conductor can help to prevent electric shock, protect electronic devices, and reduce the risk of fire. It can also improve the overall stability and reliability of electrical systems.

What are some common examples of "Earthing a Conductor"?

Some common examples of earthing a conductor include grounding electrical outlets, lightning rods, and metal enclosures for electronic devices. It is also commonly used in power distribution systems and in the construction of buildings and vehicles.