Dynamics: Collision with inclined plane

In summary, the conversation discusses two conceptual questions related to a solution for a homework problem. The solution and work are correct, but there are two areas that are unclear. The conversation also touches on the quality of an attachment and the difficulty of reading a question about momentum conservation.
MechEngrStdnt

Homework Statement

15-73.png

I have two conceptual questions that I have written in read in my solution. The solution, and all the work, is correct. However there are two things that I am unsure as to why I am doing it. Thanks!

Homework Equations

Included in solution, although none should be needed as questions are conceptual.

The Attempt at a Solution

h.jpg
The attachment is well under the limit, I don't know why the quality is be lowered so drastically...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can read the momentum question. With difficulty.
Momentum isn't conserved because the plane exercises a force. Since it is smooth, it can only exercise a force perpendicular to its surface. Along the incline no force, so momentum conservation. Can't distinguish what your x, y, directions are. Make a better picture or type it out.

Related to Dynamics: Collision with inclined plane

1. What is the relationship between the angle of an inclined plane and the collision dynamics?

The angle of an inclined plane has a direct impact on the collision dynamics. The steeper the incline, the greater the force of gravity and the faster the object will accelerate during the collision.

2. How does friction affect collisions on an inclined plane?

Friction plays a significant role in collisions on an inclined plane. It can either slow down or speed up the object, depending on the direction and magnitude of the force. Friction also affects the angle at which the object will roll or slide after the collision.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions on an inclined plane?

In an elastic collision, kinetic energy is conserved, meaning the total energy before and after the collision remains the same. In an inelastic collision, kinetic energy is lost due to deformation or heat, resulting in a decrease in the total energy. This difference can greatly impact the dynamics of the collision on an inclined plane.

4. How can the coefficient of restitution affect the outcome of a collision on an inclined plane?

The coefficient of restitution measures the elasticity of a material and determines how much kinetic energy is conserved during a collision. A higher coefficient of restitution means a more elastic collision, while a lower coefficient of restitution results in a more inelastic collision. This value can greatly influence the outcome of a collision on an inclined plane.

5. What factors should be taken into consideration when studying collisions on an inclined plane?

When studying collisions on an inclined plane, it is essential to consider factors such as the mass and velocity of the objects, the angle and surface of the inclined plane, the coefficient of restitution, and the presence of friction. These factors all contribute to the overall dynamics of the collision and must be carefully studied and analyzed to understand the outcomes accurately.