Dynamics class w/o kinematics equations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations of motion in solving physics problems and the professor's assertion that they are not necessary. The example problem and the attempt at a solution using integration is also mentioned. The conversation also highlights the importance of understanding how to derive the equations of motion and the potential consequences of not knowing them. The poster is reminded of the rules of posting on the forum and encouraged to make an attempt at the solution.
dlikes

Homework Statement

My problem is I don't understand what my professor wants us to do instead. He says that we don't need to memorize any equations, namely the equations of motion, and that everything can be solved with basic principles and integration. The problem is, I have no idea how to solve even simple problems without the use of the equations of motion.

Here's an example problem: Ball 1 is launched with an initial vertical velocity, V1=160 ft/sec. Three seconds later ball 2 is launched with an initial vertical velocity, V2. Determine V2 if the balls are to collide at an altitude of 300 ft.

I know it's a simple question, and I know exactly how to do it using the equations of motion, but He says they are not necessary and that if we use the equations of motion we will get a zero on an exam for this question.

Homework Equations

He just says use v=ds/dt, and integrate each side and manipulate it and the answers will fall out. Can anyone enlighten me on how to solve this equation without using the equations of motion? Thanks.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
dlikes said:

Homework Statement

My problem is I don't understand what my professor wants us to do instead. He says that we don't need to memorize any equations, namely the equations of motion, and that everything can be solved with basic principles and integration. The problem is, I have no idea how to solve even simple problems without the use of the equations of motion.

Here's an example problem: Ball 1 is launched with an initial vertical velocity, V1=160 ft/sec. Three seconds later ball 2 is launched with an initial vertical velocity, V2. Determine V2 if the balls are to collide at an altitude of 300 ft.

I know it's a simple question, and I know exactly how to do it using the equations of motion, but He says they are not necessary and that if we use the equations of motion we will get a zero on an exam for this question.

Homework Equations

He just says use v=ds/dt, and integrate each side and manipulate it and the answers will fall out. Can anyone enlighten me on how to solve this equation without using the equations of motion? Thanks.

The Attempt at a Solution

The equations of rectilinear motion weren't found under a bush by Newton. They can be derived in the special case for constant acceleration using simple integration, which you should be able to do if you have studied calculus.

After all, if a = ds^2/dt^2 = dv/dt, how would you find v? If v = ds/dt, how would you find s?

An added benefit to knowing how to derive the equations of motion for constant acceleration is also knowing what to do when the acceleration is not constant.

One of the rules at PF about posting in the HW forums is that the poster should make an attempt at solution. Where is your attempt? If you want to just make complaints about your prof's teaching style, that is handled in another department.

Related to Dynamics class w/o kinematics equations?

1. What is dynamics class without kinematics equations?

Dynamics class without kinematics equations is a class that focuses on the study of forces and motion without the use of equations that involve position, velocity, or acceleration. Instead, it focuses on concepts such as Newton's laws of motion, work and energy, and momentum.

2. Why is kinematics not included in this class?

Kinematics is the study of motion without considering the forces that cause it. Dynamics class without kinematics equations focuses on the forces and their effects on motion, making kinematics unnecessary for this particular class.

3. How is this class different from a traditional dynamics class?

A traditional dynamics class would typically include the use of kinematics equations to analyze and solve problems. On the other hand, dynamics class without kinematics equations relies on conceptual understanding and application of Newton's laws of motion and other principles.

4. Is this class more difficult without the use of kinematics equations?

It may be challenging for some students who are used to relying on equations to solve problems. However, this class can also be beneficial in developing a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of forces and motion.

5. What are the key topics covered in this class?

Some of the key topics covered in dynamics class without kinematics equations include force and motion, Newton's laws of motion, work and energy, conservation of energy, and momentum. These concepts are fundamental in understanding the behavior of objects in motion and their interactions with forces.