Drop Test Analysis of a Honeycomb Structure Using Ansys: ASTM Standards

In summary, it is possible to simulate a Drop Test Analysis in Ansys using the Dynamic analysis module. However, you may need to purchase this module if you do not already have it. The ASTM standard E436 may be applicable for this test, but you can also search for other relevant standards on the ASTM website.
kashoo
I want to do a Drop Test Analysis of my structure(Honeycomb like a box) from a height of 20ft...with free fall gravity...can i simulate this analysis in Ansys...will i have to purchase some specific module of this analysis in ansys...what is ASTM standard for this particular test?

Engineering news on Phys.org
kashoo said:
I want to do a Drop Test Analysis of my structure(Honeycomb like a box) from a height of 20ft...with free fall gravity...can i simulate this analysis in Ansys...will i have to purchase some specific module of this analysis in ansys...what is ASTM standard for this particular test?

I think Ansys has an special module of Dynamic analysis, where unsteady effects are allowed. I only have the Static one.

Yeah, you can run the analysis in Ansys, it can perform transient dynamic analyses. I believe it is available in most Ansys releases, at least the pro, structural, multiphysics ones.

The ASTM standard E436 on drop-weight tear test might be usable, not directly for composites but in applied sense. You can search the ASTM site for closer references, they have lots of standards suited for specific purposes like drop tests for different sort of containers etc., perhaps some of those would be directly applicable.

kashoo said:
I want to do a Drop Test...can i simulate this analysis in Ansys...will i have to purchase some specific module of this analysis in ansys

It depends what parts of Ansys you already have. The drop test is a contact/impact problem, which the basic versions of many FE codes can't address.

Related to Drop Test Analysis of a Honeycomb Structure Using Ansys: ASTM Standards

1. What is a drop test analysis?

A drop test analysis is a simulation that uses computer-aided engineering software, such as Ansys, to predict the behavior of a honeycomb structure when it is subjected to a drop or impact event. It can help engineers understand the structural performance of a product and make design improvements to ensure its safety and durability.

2. What is a honeycomb structure?

A honeycomb structure is a lightweight, strong, and stiff material made up of hexagonal cells that are interconnected. It is commonly used in aerospace, automotive, and construction industries due to its high strength-to-weight ratio and energy-absorbing properties.

3. What are ASTM standards?

ASTM standards are a set of guidelines and specifications developed by the American Society for Testing and Materials to ensure the quality and safety of materials, products, systems, and services. These standards are widely used in various industries, including engineering and construction, to establish consistent and reliable testing methods.

4. How does Ansys help in drop test analysis?

Ansys is a finite element analysis software that uses advanced numerical methods to simulate real-world scenarios, such as drop tests, and predict the behavior of structures. It can accurately model the complex geometry and material properties of a honeycomb structure and provide valuable insights into its response to an impact event.

5. What are the benefits of drop test analysis using Ansys and ASTM standards?

Drop test analysis using Ansys and ASTM standards can help engineers optimize the design of a honeycomb structure to withstand impact events, reduce development time and costs, improve product performance and safety, and ultimately enhance customer satisfaction. It also allows for quick and efficient evaluation of different design options and helps identify potential failure points before physical testing.