Driving me batty CSC^4x -COT^4x; simplify.

• Thread starter Agent M27
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simplify
Another person responds with a suggestion to use a Pythagorean trig identity. Joe realizes his mistake and thanks the person for their help. In summary, Joe is struggling with simplifying a trig equation, but realizes his mistake after receiving a suggestion to use a Pythagorean trig identity.
Agent M27

Homework Statement

The problem is to simplify the following trig equation:

csc^4x - cot^4x

Homework Equations

There really isn't any I can think of.

The Attempt at a Solution

When I attempt to simplify csc^4x - cot^4x I arrive at the result, from factoring, (csc^2x + cot^2x)(csc^2x - cot^2x). The book shows just the addition portion of my factoring. I have asked my professor and he said that I need not worry as the exam will be multiple guess?? I however am not satisfied with guessing, and would like to know if there is some fundamental rule or operation which I have overlooked. Thanks in advance and I apologize for the eq not being in a Tex format, I'm on my phone. Take care.

Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use a pythagorean trig identity with one of the factors you have.

Well that's embarassing... Thanks buddy. I knew it had to be something simple but I have a tendency to make things way more difficult than they are. I am assuming you were referring to csc^2x - cot^2x = 1 ?

Joe

Related to Driving me batty CSC^4x -COT^4x; simplify.

1. What is the meaning of "Driving me batty CSC^4x -COT^4x"?

"Driving me batty CSC^4x -COT^4x" is a mathematical expression that involves the trigonometric functions CSC and COT raised to the fourth power, and subtracting them from each other.

2. What does "simplify" mean in this context?

In this context, "simplify" means to reduce the given expression to its simplest form by combining like terms, factoring, or using mathematical rules and identities.

3. How do I simplify "Driving me batty CSC^4x -COT^4x"?

To simplify this expression, you can use the trigonometric identities: CSC^2x = 1 + COT^2x and COT^2x = CSC^2x - 1. By substituting these identities, the expression can be simplified to -2CSC^2x + 1.

4. What is the purpose of simplifying this expression?

Simplifying an expression can make it easier to understand and work with in further calculations. It can also help to identify patterns and relationships between different expressions.

5. Can "Driving me batty CSC^4x -COT^4x" be simplified further?

No, the expression -2CSC^2x + 1 is already in its simplest form and cannot be simplified any further.