Dosimetrist: From UK to USA - Tips for Making the Move"

• Thread starter dosi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uk Usa
In summary, some dosimetrists have considered moving to the USA, but are struggling to find information or guidance. There is a requirement for dosimetrists to obtain certification in the near future in the US.
dosi
Hi all,

Just wondering if there are any Dosimetrists on here who have made the switch from the UK to the USA? I'm considering this move after working as a Dosimetrist for five years now and would be grateful for any information/help/guidance on how best to make this happen

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay... Any CMDs here at all... would be handy to get some information about the role in the states?

I've seen a few CMDs post here from time to time, but not too often.

Is there a specific place in the US you're looking for? Some of the licensing issues (or lack thereof) are likely to be state-specific.

If you were interested in coming to Canada at all, I would point you towards the CAMRT:
http://www.camrt.ca/english/home.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the reply... I'm just struggling to get information really so posting here but not expecting too much...

...I have considered Canada but form discussion with people working there have led me to believe its more technologists/radiographers who perform the planning which is overseen by Physics rather than there being a designated 'Dosimetrist' role... similar to Australia (not 100% sure though as i was pointed towards an intermediate role of 'Physics planning assistant' from one hospital which looked slightly more like the natural Dosimetrists role)

I'm not wanting to go down the radiographer route as my background and degree are in Physics. I'm struggling to get noticed as i haven't got a visa yet and I'm struggling with a visa as i haven't got a job offer... bit of a vicious circle really!

Canada has designated dosimetrists too.

I think historically the way it has been in Canada and the US is that radiation therapists will do a rotation in treatment planning and then do some on-the-job training and move into a dosimetrist role. Recently there has been a movement to establish the role as a specific profession and - at least where I work - dosimetrists are expected to obtain their certification. I don't know if this is a requirement yet or not, but if not it's coming soon.

Its quite similar over here in the UK. Most people 'move' into the job from related areas. Some centres still don't have recognised 'Dosimetrists' as such as they have Rads on rotation and Physicists doing the work. We have a voluntary requirement at the moment (VRCT - Voluntary Register of CLinical Technologists) so it would seem as though in some places Canada isn't too dissimilar... I will have to widen my search again and try and find out which centres are looking for Dosimetrists and which take on rads or similar.

Cheers - Good to get some advice/comments

Related to Dosimetrist: From UK to USA - Tips for Making the Move"

1. What is a dosimetrist?

A dosimetrist is a specialized healthcare professional who works with radiation oncologists to develop and administer radiation treatment plans for cancer patients. They use advanced technology and calculations to ensure that the maximum amount of radiation is delivered to the cancerous cells while minimizing the exposure to surrounding healthy tissues.

2. Is dosimetry a regulated profession in the USA?

Yes, dosimetry is a regulated profession in the USA. Dosimetrists are required to obtain certification through the Medical Dosimetrist Certification Board (MDCB) in order to practice. Each state may also have additional licensure requirements.

3. What qualifications are needed to become a dosimetrist in the USA?

To become a dosimetrist in the USA, one must have a bachelor's degree in a related field such as radiation therapy, medical physics, or radiography. They must also complete a MDCB-approved dosimetry program and pass a certification exam. It is also recommended to have experience in a clinical setting before applying for dosimetry positions.

4. What are some tips for making the move from the UK to the USA as a dosimetrist?

Some tips for making the move include researching the requirements for dosimetry certification and licensure in the state you plan to work in, networking with other dosimetrists and potential employers, and considering the cost of living and potential salary differences between the UK and USA. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a recruitment agency or professional organization.

5. Are there any cultural differences that dosimetrists should be aware of when moving from the UK to the USA?

There may be some cultural differences, but it may vary depending on the specific location and workplace. Some dosimetrists may find that the work culture in the USA is more fast-paced and competitive compared to the UK. It is also important to be aware of any cultural sensitivities and to be open-minded and adaptable to new ways of working. It is always helpful to connect with other dosimetrists who have made the move and can provide insight and advice.