Doppler Shift as Function of MUSIC

In summary, the Doppler shift is a constant function of time as long as the source's speed and direction of travel remain constant. The equation for observed frequency is f_o=\frac{c+v_o}{c+v_s}f_s and it can be graphed if the velocity of the source is known.
peterblair
Hello, the internet.

I am attempting to graph Doppler Shift as a function of time for a music project. The equation for observed frequency is:

fo=fs(c)/vs(c)

Where
fo is observed frequency
fs is the source frequency
c is the speed of sound
vs is the velocity of the source

But when working with this equation I became confused: The entire point of the Doppler Shift is that the frequency changes over time, but time seems to be represented nowhere in this equation. So, at what point in time, or alternatively how far away from the listener is this equation measuring?

Also, can someone provide me with an equation that could graph fo as a function of time?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The Doppler shift doesn't change with time, it changes with a change in some of the parameters of the equation you have listed.

For example consider a speaker on a moving platform with a stationary observer. As long as the speaker's speed and direction of travel remain constant, the Doppler shift will be constant in time. In other words if you were to plot observed frequency as a function of time it would be a horizontal line crossing the y-axis at whatever observed frequency you measure.

You can graph it if you know v_s. That's where your time dependence is coming from: the moving source.

peterblair said:
Hello, the internet.

I am attempting to graph Doppler Shift as a function of time for a music project. The equation for observed frequency is:

fo=fs(c)/vs(c)

Where
fo is observed frequency
fs is the source frequency
c is the speed of sound
vs is the velocity of the source

But when working with this equation I became confused: The entire point of the Doppler Shift is that the frequency changes over time, but time seems to be represented nowhere in this equation. So, at what point in time, or alternatively how far away from the listener is this equation measuring?

Also, can someone provide me with an equation that could graph fo as a function of time?

Thanks!

That equation doesn't look right to me. It should be [tex]f_o=\frac{c+v_o}{c+v_s}f_s,[/tex] where [itex]v_o[/itex] is the velocity of the observer and the other variables are as defined by the OP.

Hello there,

I can understand your confusion about the equation for observed frequency and its representation of time. The equation you have provided is the basic equation for the Doppler Shift, but it does not explicitly include time as a variable. However, time is still a factor in this equation, as it is indirectly represented by the velocity of the source (vs). This velocity is measured in distance per unit time, so as the source moves, the frequency observed by the listener will change over time.

To graph fo as a function of time, you can use the following equation:

fo(t) = fs(c)/(c +/- vs*t)

Where t represents time and the +/- sign depends on the direction of the source's movement (towards or away from the listener). This equation takes into account the changing velocity of the source over time and can be used to plot a graph of observed frequency against time.

I hope this helps with your music project. Best of luck!

Related to Doppler Shift as Function of MUSIC

1. What is Doppler Shift as a function of MUSIC?

Doppler Shift as a function of MUSIC refers to the phenomenon in which the frequency of a sound wave changes as a result of the relative motion between the source of the sound and the observer. This concept is often used in the field of music to explain how the perceived pitch of a sound can change depending on the movement of the sound source or the listener.

2. How does Doppler Shift affect the pitch of music?

The perceived pitch of a sound is directly related to its frequency. When there is relative motion between the sound source and the listener, the frequency of the sound wave changes, resulting in a change in the pitch of the music. If the sound source is moving towards the listener, the frequency will increase and the pitch will sound higher. Conversely, if the sound source is moving away from the listener, the frequency will decrease and the pitch will sound lower.

3. Can Doppler Shift affect the quality of music?

Yes, Doppler Shift can affect the quality of music. When there is relative motion between the sound source and the listener, the perceived pitch of the music changes, which can also alter the overall sound and quality of the music. This is especially noticeable in live performances, where musicians or singers may move around the stage, causing variations in the pitch and quality of the music.

4. How is Doppler Shift used in music production?

In music production, Doppler Shift is used to create the illusion of movement in a piece of music. This can be achieved by manipulating the frequency of certain sounds to simulate the effect of a sound source moving closer or farther away from the listener. This technique can add depth and dimension to a recording, making it sound more dynamic and engaging.

5. Are there any other applications of Doppler Shift besides music?

Yes, Doppler Shift has various applications in science and technology. It is used in fields such as astronomy to study the motion of stars and galaxies, in radar technology to detect the speed and direction of moving objects, and in medical imaging to measure blood flow and detect abnormalities in the body. Doppler Shift is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of sound waves and has many practical applications in our daily lives.