Does the Dot Product of Two Non-Zero Vectors Bisect the Angle Between Them?

In summary, to show that c bisects the angle between a and b when c = |a|b + |b|a, we can use the equation u\cdot v= |u||v|cos(\theta) to show that the angle between a and c is the same as the angle between b and c. By manipulating the equations a\cdot c and b\cdot c, we can show that |c|= \sqrt{2|a|^2|b|^2+ 2|a||b|a\cdot b}, and by squaring both sides and making a substitution, we can show that c bisects the angle between a and b.
ProPatto16

Homework Statement

if c = |a|b + |b|a where a b and c are all non zero vectors, show that c bisects the angle between a and b, that is, divides it in half.

Homework Equations

none?

The Attempt at a Solution

dont know where to start manipulating?

Physics news on Phys.org
ProPatto16 said:

Homework Statement

if c = |a|b + |b|a where a b and c are all non zero vectors, show that c bisects the angle between a and b, that is, divides it in half.

Homework Equations

none?
Since the question is about the angle between two vectors, I think I would be inclined to use [itex]u\cdot v= |u||v|cos(\theta)[/itex] so that
[tex]cos(\theta)= \frac{u\cdot v}{|u||v|}[/tex]

to show that the angle between a and c is the same as the angle between b and c.

The Attempt at a Solution

dont know where to start manipulating?
Since c= |a|b+ |b|a, [itex]a\cdot c= |a|a\cdot b+ |b||a|^2[/itex] and [itex]b\cdot c= |a||b|^2+ |b|a\cdot b[/itex].

Further,
[tex]|c|= \sqrt{(|a|b+ |b|a)\cdot (|a|b+ |b|a)}= \sqrt{2|a|^2|b|^2+ 2|a||b|a\cdot b}[/tex]

then the next step is:

[tex]\sqrt{}2|a|2|b|2+2|a||b||a||b|cos(theta)[/tex]

?

now i need to get rid of the sqrt and somehow end up with a half theta?

if i square both sides i get

c2 = 2|a|2|b|2 + 2|a|2|b|2 cos(theta)

heading in the right direction?

that should be sqrt of (2|a|2|b|2 + 2|a||b||a||b| cos(theta))

then |a|2|b|2 = (a.bcoz(theta))2 ??

can i make that substitution?

Related to Does the Dot Product of Two Non-Zero Vectors Bisect the Angle Between Them?

What is the dot product?

The dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar quantity. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then summing those products.

How do you compute the dot product?

To compute the dot product, you multiply the corresponding components of the two vectors and then sum those products. For example, if vector A = [2, 3, 4] and vector B = [5, 6, 7], the dot product would be (2*5) + (3*6) + (4*7) = 38.

What is the significance of the dot product?

The dot product has several applications in mathematics and physics. It can be used to calculate the length of a vector, the angle between two vectors, and the projection of one vector onto another.

How is the dot product related to vector multiplication?

The dot product is one type of vector multiplication. It differs from other types of vector multiplication, such as cross product, in that it produces a scalar quantity rather than a vector.

Can the dot product be used to prove mathematical theorems?

Yes, the dot product can be used as a tool in mathematical proofs. For example, it is often used to prove the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, which states that the dot product of two vectors is always less than or equal to the product of their lengths.