Does the Coefficient of Thermal Expansion Apply to Both Expansion and Contraction?

In summary, the coefficient of thermal expansion works for both expanding and contracting, but the value changes depending on the initial temperature.
Jo MacDonald
We did an activity today in class where we placed an empty 2L bottle in the Freezer, let it contract, then calculated the coeffcient of volumetric expansion using ΔV = VoβΔT. We got pretty close to the accepted value. The question is...

Does the coefficient of thermal expansion only work for expansion? not contracting? Because if you let it contract, then the original volume is the room temp volume and you get a different coefficient than if you let it expand and use the cold volume as your original volume. For both cases, the ΔV and ΔT are the same. We got closer to the accepted value using the cold volume. Some of my students got it on the nose using the cold volume as their original volume.

In the past, I've used the coefficient of expansion for both warming and cooling, but I guess that doesn't work? What do you think?

Jo MacDonald

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

Since you are talking about air, how do your equation and calculations compare to if you used the Ideal Gas Law? Or are they the same?

That equation is only an approximation for small changes in temperature. A more general equation is Charles' Law: volume is proportional to absolute temperature, V1/T1=V0/T0. From this you can show
##\Delta V=V_0\frac{\Delta T}{T_0}##. So it is clear that β in your equation depends on initial temperature.

We found the volumes both directly and with Charles law. We came up with similar initial (freezer) volumes both ways, so the difference is using the cold volume for your Vo out the warm volume.

It should contract and expand equally due to Charles law, but you get different coefficients depending on which volume you use as your starting volume. So does the coefficient of expansion work only in expanding?

The temperature change was about 30 degrees Celsius. We use the expansion equation over much larger temperature ranges.

Jo MacDonald said:
you get different coefficients depending on which volume you use as your starting volume.
As I thought was clear from my previous post, the coefficient depends on the starting temperature. Specifically, β=1/T0.

Jo MacDonald said:
We did an activity today in class where we placed an empty 2L bottle in the Freezer, let it contract, then calculated the coeffcient of volumetric expansion using ΔV = VoβΔT. We got pretty close to the accepted value. The question is...

Does the coefficient of thermal expansion only work for expansion? not contracting? Because if you let it contract, then the original volume is the room temp volume and you get a different coefficient than if you let it expand and use the cold volume as your original volume. For both cases, the ΔV and ΔT are the same. We got closer to the accepted value using the cold volume. Some of my students got it on the nose using the cold volume as their original volume.

In the past, I've used the coefficient of expansion for both warming and cooling, but I guess that doesn't work? What do you think?

Jo MacDonald
[edit: didn't read close enough]
So you noted a difference using different coefficients for different temperatures. This is normal/real. The way to reconcile it (at this level) is to use both such as by interpolating between them.

OK, I just noticed in my textbook that the coefficients are given at 20 C. Since I've never seen any other numbers, I just assumed that they were constants. I had never heard that they were temperature dependent.

When haruspex said that the coefficient depended on the initial temperature, I thought he misunderstood what I was asking, because we had the same temperatures, just in opposite order (final, initial), but I get it now. Didn't realize the coefficients were not really CONSTANTS, that helped a lot. Now I can go back and explain to my students.

Interesting that we got better answers with the -9 C volume than the 20 C volume, but now I can tell them which volume to use and we will just get the percent error we get.

Thank you

I gather your warm temperature was room temperature, say 20C, and your freezer temp 30C less, so about -10C.
On that basis, starting at room temperature you should have got the book answer, but in going from cold to warm you should have got 293/263 = 1.1 times as much.
If you got the book answer for the second and a lower number for the first then it may be to do with the physics of the container. That will partly resist shrinking, so the pressure in the bottle will fall. Charles' Law assumes constant pressure.
You might do better to use a rubber balloon, not inflated too much.

So the coefficient should increase for lower temps, that makes sense to get you back to the warm Charles' Law volume.

Jo MacDonald said:
So the coefficient should increase for lower temps, that makes sense to get you back to the warm Charles' Law volume.
Yes.

One last clarification. Since liquids and solids don't change as much as gases, would it be safe to assume that their expansion coefficients change less with changing temperatures? That is, it is safe to use the published one at 20 C for most all temperatures (within reason)?

Jo MacDonald said:
One last clarification. Since liquids and solids don't change as much as gases, would it be safe to assume that their expansion coefficients change less with changing temperatures? That is, it is safe to use the published one at 20 C for most all temperatures (within reason)?
They provably do still change with temperature. Suppose it is constant. Consider a sample length L warmed by ΔT. It now has length L(1+αΔT). Had we warmed it by 2ΔT the formula says it should now have length L(1+2αΔT), whereas if we take the previously warmed sample of length L(1+αΔT) and warm it by the second ΔT it says L(1+αΔT)2, which is just that little bit more.

The correct definition of the coefficient of expansion is ##\beta=\frac{d(\ln{V})}{dT}=\frac{1}{V}\frac{dV}{dT}##. The equation ##\beta=\frac{1}{V_0}\frac{\Delta V}{\Delta T}## is only approximate, for beginners. With the correct definition, the value obtained for heating will be the same as the value obtained for cooling.

Chestermiller said:
The correct definition of the coefficient of expansion is ##\beta=\frac{d(\ln{V})}{dT}=\frac{1}{V}\frac{dV}{dT}##. The equation ##\beta=\frac{1}{V_0}\frac{\Delta V}{\Delta T}## is only approximate, for beginners. With the correct definition, the value obtained for heating will be the same as the value obtained for cooling.
That may be right for solids but it does not fit with Charles' Law for ideal gases. It would make the value of β depend on the two temperatures. If we suppose β is constant over some range T0 to T1 then we get ##\beta=\frac{\ln(T_1)-\ln(T_0)}{T_1-T_0}##.

haruspex said:
That may be right for solids but it does not fit with Charles' Law for ideal gases. It would make the value of β depend on the two temperatures. If we suppose β is constant over some range T0 to T1 then we get ##\beta=\frac{\ln(T_1)-\ln(T_0)}{T_1-T_0}##.
For an ideal gas, the coefficient of volume expansion is equal to 1/T. So it sure does fit with Charles' Law. Also, even for solids, the coefficient of volume expansion has some small temperature dependence.

Last edited:
Chestermiller said:
For an ideal gas, the coefficient of volume expansion is equal to 1/T.
OK, I didn't state it quite correctly: I meant that a constant β would not be consistent with Charles' Law.

In post #14 you wrote
Chestermiller said:
With the correct definition, the value obtained
but how is that differential definition to be used in the experimental context of only knowing the volumes at two widely separated temperatures? To get a value for β we would need to solve the differential equation, and that requires knowing how β depends on temperature. If we take it as constant then, yes, you will get a result that is consistent for both heating and cooling, but only with those two specific temperatures as the endpoints.

The 1/T relationship is what I wrote in post #3.

haruspex said:
OK, I didn't state it quite correctly: I meant that a constant β would not be consistent with Charles' Law.
Who said anything about ##\beta## being constant? For real materials, ##\beta## is a function of temperature.
but how is that differential definition to be used in the experimental context of only knowing the volumes at two widely separated temperatures?
I said nothing about how it is measured experimentally or how it is applied in practice. But, to apply it in practice, you need to know ##\beta(T)## and write
$$\frac{V_2}{V_1}=e^{\int_{T_1}^{T_2}{\beta(T)dT}}$$For an ideal gas, this reduces to Charles' law $$\frac{V_2}{V_1}=\frac{T_2}{T_1}$$
So I stand by what I said. To be more precise, the thermodynamic definition of the coefficient of volume expansion is:
$$\beta(T)=\left(\frac{\partial \ln{V}}{\partial T}\right)_P$$
An example of how it is applied in practice is in calculating the effect of pressure on enthalpy of real gases:
$$\left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial P}\right)_T=V(1-\beta T)$$
In thermodynamics, the symbol ##\alpha## is often used for the coefficient of volume expansion, rather than ##\beta##. In the limit of an ideal gas (for which ##\beta=1/T##, the right hand side of this equation vanishes, such that the zero pressure dependence of enthalpy for an ideal gas is properly captured.

Chestermiller said:
I stand by what I said
All I am disputing is the implication in this statement:
Chestermiller said:
With the correct definition, the value obtained
that the differential equations suffice to obtain a value for β in the context of the experiment conducted.

haruspex said:

but how is that differential definition to be used in the experimental context of only knowing the volumes at two widely separated temperatures? To get a value for β we would need to solve the differential equation, and that requires knowing how β depends on temperature.
For ideal gases, using the relationship I presented over a finite temperature range gives the exact value for ##\beta##, not at the arithmetic mean temperature, but at the well-known logarithmic mean absolute temperature $$T_{LM}=\frac{(T_2-T_1)}{\ln{(T_2/T_1)}}$$Maybe physicists don't use the logarithmic mean very much in their work, but we engineers, particularly in the area of heat transfer, use the logarithmic mean quite abundantly. Anyway, if the absolute temperatures T1 and T2 do not differ by more than a factor of 2, the logarithmic mean is very close to the arithmetic mean. Here is an example of the use of logarithmic means in heat transfer: https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/379870/heat-transfer-area-across-a-surface
For experimental evaluations over finite temperature ranges, if we say that the measured value applies to the logarithmic mean temperature, we will be obtaining a very accurate value of ##\beta## even if it is function of temperature, and even for solids and liquids (since, in these cases, the absolute temperatures typically don't differ by a factor of 2 in the tests).

Related to Does the Coefficient of Thermal Expansion Apply to Both Expansion and Contraction?

What is thermal expansion of air?

Thermal expansion of air is the phenomenon in which air molecules increase in volume as they are heated. This causes the air to become less dense and rise, creating changes in atmospheric pressure and affecting weather patterns.

What factors affect the thermal expansion of air?

The thermal expansion of air is affected by temperature, pressure, and the composition of the air. As temperature increases, air molecules gain kinetic energy and move further apart, causing expansion. Changes in pressure can also affect air density and expansion. Additionally, the amount and type of gases present in the air can impact thermal expansion.

How is thermal expansion of air important in everyday life?

Thermal expansion of air is an important concept in understanding weather patterns and atmospheric phenomena. It also plays a role in engineering and construction, as changes in air pressure can affect the structural integrity of buildings and other structures.

What is the relationship between thermal expansion of air and altitude?

The higher the altitude, the lower the air pressure and temperature. This means that at higher altitudes, the air molecules are less dense and have more space to expand. As a result, the thermal expansion of air is greater at higher altitudes than at lower altitudes.

Can thermal expansion of air be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, the thermal expansion of air can be controlled and manipulated through various methods. For example, heating and cooling systems use thermal expansion to regulate temperature. In addition, engineers and scientists can use knowledge of thermal expansion to design and construct materials and structures that can withstand changes in air pressure and temperature.