Does Solenoid Diameter Affect Acceleration of a Metal BB?

In summary, the question asks if a metal BB would experience a larger acceleration in a smaller diameter solenoid compared to a larger diameter solenoid, assuming the same uniform magnetic field and acceleration along the z-axis. The equation for the magnetic field through a solenoid does not include diameter, but in an infinitely long solenoid, the field is uniform. Therefore, the BB would experience the same acceleration in both solenoids.
joe_cool2

Homework Statement

We're given two solenoids with identical currents and turns per unit length. But the solenoids have different diameters. Would a metal BB experience a larger acceleration in the smaller diameter tube, assuming we use the same BB in both solenoids it accelerates along the z-axis, which goes through the center of the solenoid?

Homework Equations

Magnetic field through a solenoid:

[itex] B = \mu_0NI [/itex]

Where N is number of turns per unit length and I is the current.

Biot-Savart Law:

[tex]B = \frac{1}{4\pi}\frac{I\Delta \vec{s} \times \vec{r}}{r^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My thought is that since the BB experiences the same uniform magnetic field in both solenoids, the acceleration is the same. The equation for the magnetic field through a solenoid does not include diameter, I notice. But I was having a little debate on this subject and my friend says he would expect the field to sort of dissipate as the diameter increases. This would make total sense if it were a point charge; you'd use Biot-Savart's law. Who is right?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi joe_cool2! :smile:

(what's a BB ? :confused:)
joe_cool2 said:
The equation for the magnetic field through a solenoid does not include diameter, I notice. But I was having a little debate on this subject and my friend says he would expect the field to sort of dissipate as the diameter increases.

you are correct …

if the solenoid is infinitely long, the magnetic field is uniform

if the solenoid is ordinary long (ie, a lot longer than wide), the magnetic field is nearly uniform, and you can assume this to be so in exam questions! :wink:

from hyperphysics

"The magnetic field is concentrated into a nearly uniform field in the centre of a long solenoid"​

See here for description of BBs. They are often made of steel with a copper or zinc coating, lead, or plastic. I don't see how a BB in a B field (pun intended, sorry) would experience any noticeable acceleration.

Related to Does Solenoid Diameter Affect Acceleration of a Metal BB?

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a type of electromechanical device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. It typically consists of a wire coil wrapped around a metal core, and when an electrical current is passed through the coil, it creates a magnetic field that can attract or repel other objects.

2. What is the purpose of using a solenoid with different diameters?

Using different diameter solenoids allows for more precise control over the strength and direction of the magnetic field. This can be useful in a variety of applications, such as in electric motors, valves, and electronic locks.

3. How do you determine the diameter of a solenoid?

The diameter of a solenoid is typically determined by the size of the metal core and the number of turns in the wire coil. The diameter can also affect the strength of the magnetic field, as a larger diameter may produce a stronger field.

4. What are the advantages of using a solenoid with a larger diameter?

A larger diameter solenoid can typically produce a stronger magnetic field, which can be advantageous in applications that require a higher level of force or precision. Additionally, a larger diameter may also allow for a greater range of motion or larger objects to be moved by the solenoid.

5. Are there any limitations to using different diameter solenoids?

One limitation of using different diameter solenoids is that they may require a larger amount of electrical current to produce the desired magnetic field, which can increase energy consumption and potentially lead to overheating. Additionally, the larger the diameter, the more space the solenoid will take up, which may not be feasible in certain applications where space is limited.