Does Normal Force change with new Force diagram?

In summary: In fact, it makes it harder because now you have to remember which direction the various forces are acting in.
PacFan01
All degrees are measured from the positive x-axis.

FG = Force of gravity
FN = Normal force
FT = Force of tension

Problem:

A skier is being pulled up a 15° incline by a rope. I'm solving for FT. The only forces acting on the skier are FG, FN, and FT.

Attempt at a solution:

Initially, my free-body diagram shows the FG at 270°, FN at 105°, and FT at 15°.

Let's say I redraw my free-body diagram such that FG points at 255° FN at 90°, and FT at 0° (or 360°).

FyG =-mgcosθ. What I want to know is, does my FyN = +mgcosθ, or just +mg?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the angle is 90 degrees, what's cosine of 90 degrees?

Make sure you don't just blindly apply equations, you must know where those equations come from. If you rotate your diagram, changing the "theta", your equations must necessarily take this into account.

Likes oldspice1212
Thanks for the reply, Matterwave.

I understand what you are saying. It's hard for me to look at a straight line (like in the case of FG at 270°) and apply trigonometric values.

I can see that if we correlate sinθ with the y-axis, and cosθ with the x-axis, that FG at 270° = mgsinθ where sin(270°) = -1, thus we typically refer to FG as -mg, associating the negative sign with the direction of gravitational acceleration.

Thus, the answer to my question is FyN = +mgcosθ.

I understand what you are saying. It's hard for me to look at a straight line (like in the case of FG at 270°) and apply trigonometric values.

Think to yourself... What is the component of FG that acts in the FT direction? and what is the component of FG that acts at 90 degrees to FT. Draw these it on your diagram and you will see they form a right angle triangle. Only then apply the trig.

Personally I don't think redrawing the diagram rotated 15 degrees makes it easier to understand.

In general, the normal force (FN) is the force that a surface exerts on an object in contact with it, perpendicular to the surface. In this scenario, the normal force is the force that the incline exerts on the skier, preventing them from falling through the surface.

In the first free-body diagram, the normal force (FN) is represented as +mgcosθ, where θ is the angle of the incline. This is because the force of gravity (FG) is acting at an angle of 270°, and the normal force is perpendicular to the surface at an angle of 105°. So, the normal force is equal to the component of the force of gravity in the direction perpendicular to the surface, which is mgcosθ.

In the second free-body diagram, the angle of the incline has changed, but the force of gravity (FG) is still acting at an angle of 270°. Therefore, the normal force (FN) will also change in direction, but it will still be equal to the component of the force of gravity in the direction perpendicular to the surface, which is still mgcosθ. So, in this case, FyN = +mgcosθ, not just +mg.

In general, the normal force will change with a new force diagram if the angle of the incline changes, as the component of the force of gravity in the direction perpendicular to the surface will also change. However, if the angle of the incline remains the same, the normal force will also remain the same.

Related to Does Normal Force change with new Force diagram?

1. Does the value of Normal Force change with a new Force diagram?

The value of Normal Force can change with a new Force diagram, as it is dependent on the forces acting on an object. If the magnitude or direction of the forces change, the value of Normal Force will also change.

2. How does the addition of a new force affect the Normal Force?

The addition of a new force can affect the Normal Force in a few ways. If the new force is acting perpendicular to the surface, it will change the magnitude of Normal Force. However, if the new force is acting parallel to the surface, it will not have any effect on the Normal Force.

3. Can the Normal Force be greater than the weight of an object?

Yes, the Normal Force can be greater than the weight of an object if there is an additional force acting on the object to push it down onto the surface. This is commonly seen in situations where an object is on an inclined plane.

4. How does the angle of an inclined plane affect the Normal Force?

The angle of an inclined plane can affect the Normal Force as it changes the direction of the weight of an object. The steeper the angle, the more the weight of the object is directed perpendicular to the surface, resulting in a greater Normal Force.

5. Does the Normal Force always act in the opposite direction of the weight of an object?

No, the Normal Force does not always act in the opposite direction of the weight of an object. If there are other forces acting on the object, the direction of the Normal Force may change accordingly. However, in most cases, the Normal Force does act in the opposite direction of the weight of an object to keep it in equilibrium.