Does Multiple Compton Scattering Occur in Laser-Electron Interactions?

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the concept of a photon and its role in compton scattering experiments. The experiment measures the momentum of electrons scattered by a laser pulse, which is consistent with the idea of a photon. The question arises about whether increasing the laser intensity could result in multiple photon scatterings, but it is suggested that this is unlikely due to the absorption of energy by the electron in the first scattering. A paper is referenced which supports the idea that electrons only scatter once in these experiments.
danno
I'm testing my faith in the photon. I understand that energy levels are quantized, and I understand that the EM field carries momentum. I want to make sure the idea of a photon is necessary to intuitively understand the observations.

I am focused on compton scattering of a photon and an electron. The ideal experiment has a single electron suspended in a vacuum chamber. A laser pulse is shot across the chamber and the electron, if scattered, is detected when it impacts the wall of the chamber. Its momentum is recorded. For simplicity let's just say we measure the electrons scattered in the forward direction.

The experiment will measure electrons having momentum consistent with having collided with a particle of momentum h / lambda where lambda is the central frequency of the laser pulse. Ergo, photon.

I am wondering: if one turns up the laser intensity, does one sometimes observe an electron momentum consistent with having scattered off two or more photons? In other words, in the momentum distribution of the electrons, is there not only the first peak, but additional peaks higher order in the laser intensity (with decreasing spacing of course)? Or does something happen in QED wherein after the electron is entangled with the field after the first scattering, it does not undergo any additional scatterings? I do not know QED.

Thanks for your time!

Dan

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, this paper says the electron only scatters once!

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1992Ap&SS.192..219I

However I suspect that the paper is saying that the multiple scattering probability is very close to zero due to the fact that the electron absorbs a lot of the photon energy, but not exactly zero. Bottom of page 226 to 227:

"Just in the first scattering event an electron transfers all its energy to a gamma-ray quantum and becomes inactive"

And first paragraph of section 3.2: "It has already been mentioned that an electron... in reality interacts with a field photon only once, transferring practically all its energy to the latter"

Not very particle-like.

Dan

Related to Does Multiple Compton Scattering Occur in Laser-Electron Interactions?

1. What is multiple compton scattering?

Multiple compton scattering is a phenomenon in which a photon interacts with multiple electrons in a material, causing it to lose energy and change direction multiple times.

2. How does multiple compton scattering differ from single compton scattering?

In single compton scattering, a photon interacts with only one electron and loses a portion of its energy. In multiple compton scattering, the photon interacts with multiple electrons and may undergo multiple changes in energy and direction.

3. What is the significance of multiple compton scattering in imaging and radiation therapy?

Multiple compton scattering can affect the accuracy of imaging techniques, such as X-ray imaging, by causing blurring and distortion of the image. In radiation therapy, it can also lead to under or overestimation of the dose delivered to the target area.

4. How is multiple compton scattering affected by the energy of the incident photon?

The probability of multiple compton scattering increases with increasing photon energy. This is because higher energy photons have a higher chance of interacting with multiple electrons in the material.

5. What are some applications of multiple compton scattering in scientific research?

Multiple compton scattering is used in various research fields, including material science, nuclear physics, and astrophysics. It is also used in spectroscopy techniques to study the structure and composition of materials.