Does Bell's Theorem Rule Out Determinism?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of determinism and hidden variables in relation to quantum mechanics. The speaker has learned about HUP and Bell's theorem, which suggest that predictions can only be approximations and that there are no hidden variables governing particles in a system. However, the speaker is unsure about the different types of hidden variables and their implications for determinism. They are seeking clarification on how HUP and Bell's theorem relate to this concept.
jbar18
I think I have seen this question a few times before, but I have never read a specific answer. Before I knew any quantum mechanics, I assumed that if you knew enough information about a system, you could predict how it would be at any point in time, and therefore complex things like human decisions, which we have no reason to believe are anything more than (fundamentally) chemical reactions, could be predicted if enough information was known. Since then I have learned of HUP and Bell's theorem, which I think I am right in saying means that any prediction is only an approximation to some level of accuracy (though I have also read that QED keeps agreeing with experiment the more accurate they go, so I am not entirely sure about this). As I understand it, HUP says that we can never know precisely the conditions of any system (which combined with chaos theory means we cannot predict precisely what will happen in a system, in terms of individual particles), and Bell's theorem says that there aren't any hidden variables "governing" all of the particles in the system. Please correct me if I have said anything that is wrong.

My question specifically is this: do HUP and Bell's theorem rule out determinism? Or is it not possible to say? I am not entirely sure about all of the different types of hidden variables that there are and which ones Bell's theorem rule out (like local or non-local etc, I don't know how many there are or even what they really mean), but surely these two theorems combined should mean that determinism cannot be correct. However I still see some very clever people arguing in favor of determinism from time to time, so I was hoping that someone could clear it up for me. :)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
HUP and Bell's theorem do not rule out determinism and hidden variables. They only rule out local and noncontextual hidden variables.

For more details see e.g.
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/quant-ph/0609163 [Found.Phys.37:1563-1611,2007]

Related to Does Bell's Theorem Rule Out Determinism?

1. What is Bell's Theorem?

Bell's Theorem is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible for any local hidden variable theory to reproduce all of the predictions of quantum mechanics. It was proposed by physicist John Stewart Bell in 1964 as a way to test the validity of determinism in quantum mechanics.

2. How does Bell's Theorem relate to determinism?

Bell's Theorem challenges the notion of determinism in quantum mechanics by showing that there are certain phenomena that cannot be explained by local hidden variables, which are a key component of deterministic theories. This means that there are aspects of quantum mechanics that cannot be predicted or controlled with certainty, which goes against the concept of determinism.

3. Does Bell's Theorem definitively rule out determinism?

No, Bell's Theorem does not definitively rule out determinism. It only shows that local hidden variable theories are not able to fully explain the predictions of quantum mechanics. There are still ongoing debates and research about the role of determinism in quantum mechanics.

4. Are there any alternative explanations for the results of Bell's Theorem?

Yes, there are alternative explanations for the results of Bell's Theorem. Some scientists propose that there may be non-local hidden variables or that there are underlying hidden variables that we are not yet aware of. Others suggest that the results of Bell's Theorem can be explained by quantum entanglement.

5. What are the implications of Bell's Theorem for our understanding of the universe?

Bell's Theorem challenges our traditional understanding of causality and determinism in the universe. It suggests that there may be inherent randomness and unpredictability in certain aspects of the universe, which goes against the deterministic view of a clockwork universe. This has significant implications for our understanding of reality and the limitations of human knowledge.