Does anyone have a idea on how lifters work yet?

• Thread starter xclr82xtc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea Work
In summary, the conversation is discussing the potential uses and research surrounding lifters, a type of technology that uses ionized gas for propulsion. The participants also mention Mythbusters' failed attempt to disprove ion wind theory and the use of ion propulsion in spacecraft. They express interest in further research and potential applications of this technology.
xclr82xtc
does anyone have a idea on how lifters work yet? i am agreed with those that believe it is not a ion wind effect. i believe this technology should be researched and it is my goal to use it as my field of research. i was just hoping someone is already working on it.

i mean imagine, hover boards, and flying cars (no more tires) mobility belts that help elderly walk,m no more fuel sucking cranes, personal elevators...so many uses...

any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org

What is a lifter?

yeah i think that was supposed to disprove the ion wind theory. I am not sure though, id have to look at the episode again, its been a while.

Yes, the mythbusters test was designed to disprove ion wind theory and it failed, verifying ion wind theory.

i thought others had gotten it to work in a vaccuum? i seem to remember a article about possible propulsion technology for NASA.

xclr82xtc said:
i thought others had gotten it to work in a vaccuum?
No one with any credibility, no.
i seem to remember a article about possible propulsion technology for NASA.
Perhaps in an "alternate" science source, but not a mainstream one.

Though actually, the technology is not dissimilar from the ion propulsion some spacecraft use now. It also uses ionized gas (often xenon), though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_engines

Related to Does anyone have a idea on how lifters work yet?

1. What is a lifter and how does it work?

A lifter is a device used to move objects vertically by creating a force that opposes the force of gravity. It works by using electromagnetic fields to produce a thrust force that lifts the object.

2. What is the main principle behind the operation of a lifter?

The main principle behind the operation of a lifter is known as the Biefeld-Brown effect. This effect causes an asymmetrical capacitor to produce a net force in the direction of the positive electrode, creating lift.

3. How do scientists currently explain the working mechanism of lifters?

Currently, scientists explain the working mechanism of lifters as a combination of ion wind and electrohydrodynamics. The high voltage applied to the electrodes ionizes the air, creating a wind that interacts with the electric field and produces lift.

4. Are there any alternative theories or explanations for how lifters work?

Yes, there are some alternative theories proposed by scientists, such as the ion wind tunnel theory and the electrogravitics theory. However, these theories have not been widely accepted and are still under investigation.

5. How is the study of lifters relevant to other areas of science?

The study of lifters has implications in various fields, including aerospace engineering, particle physics, and plasma physics. It also has potential applications in developing new propulsion systems and understanding the fundamental nature of electricity and electromagnetism.