Does an infinite number of zeros equal R1?

• Thread starter student34
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinite
In summary, the concept of an infinitesimal is usually taken from outside of the real numbers and is not the same as zero. Additionally, the union of an infinite number of horizontal lines on a two-dimensional plane can equal the entire plane, just as the union of an infinite number of singleton sets on the real number line can equal the real numbers. However, this concept is unrelated to calculus and infinitesimals.
student34
I ask this because it seems that there is no distinction between 0 and an infinitesimal. Similarly, it also seems that an infinite number of one dimensional lines can equal R2, and the same seems to go for R2 to R3, and R3 to R4.

I only know basic calculus, so I am probably generalizing the concepts and not understanding the finer details.

Physics news on Phys.org
An infinite number of zeros is zero.

Zero and an infinitesimal are not the same thing. If they were, we wouldn't need another name (infinitesimal).

I have no idea what you mean when you say
an infinite number of one dimensional lines can equal R2

student34 said:
I ask this because it seems that there is no distinction between 0 and an infinitesimal.

If we are talking about the real numbers, there is no such thing as an infinitesimal. An infinitesimal is usually taken to be from outside of the real numbers (usually hyperreal).

Similarly, it also seems that an infinite number of one dimensional lines can equal R2, and the same seems to go for R2 to R3, and R3 to R4.

There is no "similarly". This is a completely different thing to infinitesimals.

A horizontal line on ##\mathbb{R}^2## is defined as
##L_a := \{ (x,y) \in \mathbb{R}^2 \,:\, y=a \}##.
Then it is obvious the (uncountable) union of all the ##L_a## where a is taken over all of the reals, is indeed ##\mathbb{R}^2##.

Similarly, if x is a real number, the (uncountable) union of the singleton set ##\{x\}## taken over all of the real numbers, is exactly R. This is one of the most trivial things in set theory: if you have a set ##S## and take all its elements, then union them all, you get ##S## back.
But it has nothing to do with calculus or infinitesimals.

Related to Does an infinite number of zeros equal R1?

1. What is R1?

R1 is a mathematical notation for the set of real numbers.

2. What does an infinite number of zeros mean?

An infinite number of zeros means that there is no limit to the number of zeros in a sequence or number.

3. Does an infinite number of zeros always equal R1?

No, an infinite number of zeros does not always equal R1. It depends on the context and set of numbers being considered.

4. Can an infinite number of zeros be represented as a real number?

No, an infinite number of zeros cannot be represented as a real number. Real numbers have a finite number of digits, while an infinite number of zeros implies an infinite number of digits.

5. How is the concept of infinity related to an infinite number of zeros?

The concept of infinity is related to an infinite number of zeros because both imply a limitless or unending quantity. However, they are not necessarily interchangeable as infinity encompasses all numbers, while an infinite number of zeros only refers to a specific sequence of zeros.