Do rich people have more friends?

• Thread starter avant-garde
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friends
In summary: some people opt for traveling, learning new things, etc. some people would rather hoard their wealth and live a pampered life. each to their own.
avant-garde
What do you guys think? To what extent, does having money, help you in your social bondings?

Physics news on Phys.org
Whats up with these weird threads?

avant-garde said:
What do you guys think? To what extent, does having money, help you in your social bondings?

I don't know about bonding, but the wealthier you are the more people want to know you. And not necessarily for shady reasons. To have become wealthy (by that I mean self-starter of some kind) typically requires you to be unique in some way. Personality/character traits that make people curious about you. Then there are just those that want to use you for their own means. You may know more people but you are likely to only have a few close "friends" that you socially "bond" with. IMO of course.

wealth = more leisure time = more time for friends

how does wealth = more leisure time?

avant-garde said:

unless you're a workaholic, but you know how those guys are, they'll be counting their tee times as "business"

avant-garde said:

The more you make, the less you work, typically. :) I realized this dynamic early in life! Just took me awhile to get there.

But, I have to add. If you love your job, you won't really be working.

drankin said:
The more you make, the less you work, typically. :) I realized this dynamic early in life! Just took me awhile to get there.

Could you give us an example of a particular job?

Recently, I've begun to think this way:
"The more we earn, the more likely we are to complain about lack of time because we equate our high earnings with a sense of entitlement to more leisure and feel resentful that time cannot be stretched."

avant-garde said:
Could you give us an example of a particular job?

Recently, I've begun to think this way:
"The more we earn, the more likely we are to complain about lack of time because we equate our high earnings with a sense of entitlement to more leisure and feel resentful that time cannot be stretched."

Like my previous post. Many wealthy people love what they do. They don't have as much leisure time but they may not enjoy it as much as working at what they love to do.

And your question doesn't work because a job for one person is heaven and to another it's hell.

ah.. so you were talking about subjective wealth?

avant-garde said:
ah.. so you were talking about subjective wealth?

No, monetary.

so the pivot here is not "being rich"... what you're saying is "loving what you do"

avant-garde said:
so the pivot here is not "being rich"... what you're saying is "loving what you do"

I was responding to the post suggesting that in order to be rich (I prefer the term "wealthy") you have to sacrifice leisure. But, that only works if you treasure leisure time. Many wealthy individual treasure their work. Particularly those who created their work in some way or another. Think artists, inventors, entrepreneurs...

meh. wealth gives you options. some people opt for socializing. some would rather piddle in their workshop/lab/office.

Related to Do rich people have more friends?

Q: Do rich people really have more friends?

While it may seem like rich people have more friends due to their social status and connections, there is no clear evidence that this is universally true. Some studies have shown that wealthy individuals tend to have larger social networks, but the quality of their friendships may not necessarily be better than those of non-wealthy individuals.

Q: Why do people believe that rich people have more friends?

There are a few reasons why people may believe that rich people have more friends. One is the idea that wealth and social status can bring about more opportunities for socializing and meeting new people. Additionally, media and popular culture often portray the wealthy as having lavish lifestyles and constantly surrounded by friends, creating a perception that they have more friends than others.

Q: Do rich people have more genuine friendships?

This is a difficult question to answer definitively, as it is difficult to measure the authenticity of someone's friendships. However, research suggests that individuals with higher incomes tend to have more superficial relationships and fewer close, deep friendships. This could be due to a lack of time and focus on wealth and success, leading to less meaningful connections with others.

Q: Are rich people more popular than others?

Being popular and having many friends are not necessarily the same thing. While wealthy individuals may have more social connections and be seen as "popular" in some circles, this does not necessarily mean they have genuine friendships or are well-liked by everyone. Popularity is subjective and can vary greatly depending on factors such as social status, personality, and individual preferences.

Q: Can money buy friends?

While wealthy individuals may have more opportunities to socialize and meet new people, genuine friendships cannot be bought with money. True friendships are built on trust, mutual respect, and shared experiences, not material possessions or wealth. In fact, some research suggests that flaunting wealth can actually deter people from wanting to be friends with someone, as it can create feelings of envy and resentment.