Do Parametric Equations x=t^2 and y=t^2 Describe a Line?

In summary, the first question about the parametric equations x=t^2 and y=t^2 describing the line y=x is answered with a "yes". The second question about y being a function of t and x being a function of t is answered with a "no". And for the last question about whether x=cos t, y=cos^2(t) describes the parabola y=x^2, the answer is also "no". The cosine function restricts the values of x and y, making it impossible for them to describe a parabola.
teffy3001
i have a couple questions that confuse me that would help me on doing my homework on parametric equations...

do the parametric equations x=t^2 and y=t^2 describe the line y=x?
and if y is a function of t and x is a function of t, then is y a funcion of x?
and last, does x=cos t, y=cos^2(t) describe the parabola y=x^2?

these arent my homework questions, but any help or explanation of this would really help me out...thanks : )

Physics news on Phys.org
teffy3001 said:
i have a couple questions that confuse me that would help me on doing my homework on parametric equations...

do the parametric equations x=t^2 and y=t^2 describe the line y=x?
and if y is a function of t and x is a function of t, then is y a funcion of x?
and last, does x=cos t, y=cos^2(t) describe the parabola y=x^2?

these arent my homework questions, but any help or explanation of this would really help me out...thanks : )
The first question: Yes;
the second question: No.

The cosine function restricts what values x and y can be. Cosine can only be between -1 and +1.

You want to represent your y function as (cos(t))^2 unless you know how to use proper typesetting, such as TEX or something.,

oh okay thanks a lot...so then to the last question though, the answer would be no? I am just making sure...

Related to Do Parametric Equations x=t^2 and y=t^2 Describe a Line?

1. What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a set of equations that represent a relationship between two or more variables, usually denoted by x and y. These equations are expressed in terms of a third variable, called a parameter, which is usually denoted by t. Parametric equations are commonly used in mathematics and physics to describe the motion of objects.

2. How do you graph parametric equations?

To graph parametric equations, you first need to plot points using the values of x and y at different values of t. Then, connect these points with a smooth curve to create the graph. It is important to choose a range of values for t that will give you a complete and accurate representation of the graph.

3. What are the advantages of using parametric equations?

Parametric equations allow for a more flexible and precise representation of curves and other complex shapes. They also make it easier to analyze and manipulate equations involving multiple variables, as well as to study parametric curves and surfaces in three-dimensional space.

4. Can parametric equations be converted to rectangular form?

Yes, parametric equations can be converted to rectangular form by eliminating the parameter t from the equations. This can be done by solving for t in one equation and substituting that value into the other equation. The resulting equation will be in terms of x and y and can be graphed on a rectangular coordinate system.

5. How are parametric equations used in real life?

Parametric equations have many real-world applications, such as in physics to describe the motion of objects, in engineering to design and analyze complex structures, and in computer graphics to create animations and special effects. They are also used in statistics and economics to model and analyze data.