DIY inverted microscope out of a webcam

In summary, creating a DIY inverted microscope out of a webcam involves disassembling the webcam, attaching a lens, and modifying the webcam software. The webcam's lens is removed and replaced with a microscope lens, and the software is altered to reverse the image and adjust the focus. This allows for a cost-effective and compact solution for viewing small objects and specimens in a microscope-like manner.
Kinase
Not sure if this is the right place for this thread but, have you guys ever made anything cool at home? I was planning on making an inverted microscope out of a webcam by just taking the lens out and flipping it over and setting it up like a microscope.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kinase said:
Not sure if this is the right place for this thread but, have you guys ever made anything cool at home?
Yes. When I put things in my refrigerator, they automagically get cool.

Seriously though, I've done a lot of DIY things at home for fun, if they are cool or not is a matter of taste. Some examples are basic spectrometer, basic double slit experiment equipment, various electronics, microphones, loudspeakers (more engineering, though).

There are a lot of scientists/engineers/students on this forum, so there are definitely people here who have done/are doing things at home for fun...

I've made everything from prosthetic make-up appliances (see my avatar for a sloppy example) to exotic weapons systems to my current project of a tank-treaded "docking station" for my power-chair. (It's currently useless in snow and can't climb stairs.)
No scientific instruments, though.

Kinase said:
Not sure if this is the right place for this thread but, have you guys ever made anything cool at home? I was planning on making an inverted microscope out of a webcam by just taking the lens out and flipping it over and setting it up like a microscope.
I would break the server if I listed everything I've made over the last 25 years.

The last cool thing I made was a Relative Humidity/Dew Point sensing device.
It consisted, of a wet paper towel, a muffin fan, and an infrared thermometer(not pictured).
pf.2014.12.13.0200.rh.dp.measuring.device.jpg

It worked!
Unlike my vintage, indoor/outdoor thermometer, which claimed that it was 112°F outside. I think it was closer to 50°F this last Monday. It's marked off in 2°F increments. So, I think scientists would say it has an accuracy of 2°F +/- 62°F. Or they might say, that I should throw it away.

I also made a microscope similar to what you are talking about, though, I used my digital camera and held the lens from my enlarger over the camera lens.
The camera is manual focus, and has a minimum focus distance of about 1 foot. The enlarger lens reduces the focus distance to about an inch or so.
It comes in handy for sharing pictures of teeny bugs, and moldy things.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.europa.com%2F%257Egarry%2F2013.06.28.1221pm.satans.moth.jpg

Stephanitis rhododendron

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fhome.europa.com%2F%7Egarry%2F2012.03.31.mold.on.CGB.agar.jpg

Unidentified fungus

OmCheeto said:
.php%3Fimage%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fhome.europa.com%252F%257Egarry%252F2012.03.31.mold.on.CGB.agar.jpg
How did you get a camera into my fridge? :oldgrumpy:

Likes DennisN and OmCheeto
An older pic, but back in '07 or so I built a flowbench for testing cylinder heads and manifolds. I had it set up to measure up to 36" of depression, but it could probably have pulled close to 96" if I had two more motors and a taller U-tube manometer. Sounded like a jet engine with all of the motors running under load pulling through a 1" orifice. Definitely one of the more interactive things I've built.
FlowB2setup1.jpg

Likes OmCheeto
And after building a flowbench out of PVC pipe, what do you do with the spare parts? Build a potato cannon of course! :D Also had to perform a series of tests using common flammable workshop liquids. A 20,000 volt stun gun works much better than a grill lighter.

Cannon2.jpg

ElectrodeTips.jpg

Fuels.jpg

Gee, that looks dangerous fun. I found one of http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vickers-Instruments-M008-Photoplan-Microscope-/271705595573 on ebay but I'm not about to drop 350 for hobbies at home. It's so cool looking though. But considering I have a good amount of experience on microscopes it'd annoy me if I didnt have 100x objective and oil immersion to use to look at cells. Oh well. I'll find something cool to do.

I figured a railgun would be pretty easy too.

A few years back I built an old fashioned spark coil:

Sparky1_zps422c249e.jpg

Sparky2_zpsd69dafc2.jpg

Likes DennisN, OmCheeto, dlgoff and 1 other person

Related to DIY inverted microscope out of a webcam

1. How can I make an inverted microscope out of a webcam?

Making an inverted microscope out of a webcam is a relatively simple process that involves disassembling the webcam, attaching a lens adapter, and creating a stand to hold the webcam in place. There are many online tutorials and guides available that provide step-by-step instructions for this DIY project.

2. What materials do I need to make an inverted microscope out of a webcam?

The materials needed for this project include a webcam, a lens adapter or lens with a suitable magnification, a stand or base to hold the webcam in place, and any additional tools or materials for assembly, such as a screwdriver or glue. Some tutorials may also recommend using a light source or stage for the microscope.

3. Can I use any type of webcam for this project?

While any webcam could potentially be used for this project, it is best to choose one with a high resolution and good quality lens. Webcams designed specifically for microscopy, such as the Celestron Handheld Digital Microscope, may be a better option as they are already equipped with suitable lenses and adapters.

4. Is making an inverted microscope out of a webcam difficult?

The difficulty level will depend on your level of experience with DIY projects and electronics. Some basic knowledge of wiring and assembly may be required, but overall, this project can be completed by individuals with moderate technical skills. It is always recommended to thoroughly research and follow a tutorial or guide when attempting this project.

5. What are the benefits of making an inverted microscope out of a webcam?

The main benefit of making an inverted microscope out of a webcam is the cost savings. Traditional inverted microscopes can be expensive, but using a webcam allows for a more affordable option. Additionally, making your own microscope allows for customization and experimentation, as well as the satisfaction of creating a functional scientific tool on your own.