DIY Ice Rink Building Tips for Hockey Enthusiasts in South NJ

• Thread starter openbahr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Build Ice
In summary, my son is trying to figure out how to make a homemade ice rink this winter, and I was wondering if there was a way to build it with a frame and liner and then elevate it or if there is another option that would be simpler.
openbahr
Ok, so my 8 year old son started playing ice hockey and unfortunately to get good, you need lost of ice time which is expensive and hard to come by. I am trying to figure out how to make a homemade ice rink this winter. I live in south NJ and the winters are not cold enough to have a lasting rink using mother nature alone, which brings me to my question.

I was thinking of first, building a rink with a frame and liner and thinking maybe elevating it on 4x4 timbers to eliminate the warmth of the earth.( the old "bridge freezes first" concept.)

then I thought if I covered the plywood bottom with coils of copper tubing and ran ice cold water or glycol through it, that would really help keep the ice cold and solid, thereby extending the playing season.

so is this a crazy idea? will the reward be worth the effort? what would be the best (cheapest) way to cool the water/glycol?

any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Mike

Engineering news on Phys.org
You would get bettor heat transfer if the coils were inside the ice and you ran a fluid that will not freeze through it to prevent the chance of a blockage or something, causing your pipes to freeze and bursting your pipes

Sorry I was unclear. I did mean put piping on TOP of plywood in the ice.

I was thinking of piping antifreeze through pipes and then through an ice filled cooler.
Of course the outside temp would have to be pretty low.

Is there a way to figure the highest outside temp could be for this to still work?
Guess it would depend on liquid temp, ice thickness, amount of piping , ect...

Cooling the glycol mix really is the tough part. You need a chiller for that.

Maybe another option is to practice a lot on concrete with in-line skates? I know it's not 100% the same, but it's a lot simpler option...

It might be a better option to enroll your son in a hockey club to get cheap ice-time. Unfortunately, the ice-times allotted to youth groups may not be optimal, for him or for you. Still, if you want your son to get skilled at hockey, you need to put him on properly conditioned ice.

Good luck finding a solution. Maine is pretty cold most winters, but budding hockey players need ice-time at decent rinks and that can be hard to manage.

Related to DIY Ice Rink Building Tips for Hockey Enthusiasts in South NJ

1. How do you build an ice rink?

Building an ice rink typically involves laying down a base layer of insulation and piping to keep the ice frozen. Then, water is sprayed on top and allowed to freeze layer by layer until it reaches the desired thickness. The surface is then smoothed and painted with lines and markings.

2. What materials are needed to build an ice rink?

The materials needed for building an ice rink include a flat surface, insulation boards, piping or tubing, a water source, a Zamboni or ice resurfacer, and ice paint or markings. Other materials such as boards for creating walls and a liner may also be needed depending on the type of rink being built.

3. How long does it take to build an ice rink?

The time it takes to build an ice rink varies depending on the size and complexity of the rink. A simple backyard rink can be built in a day or two, while a larger professional rink can take several weeks to complete. Factors such as weather conditions and equipment availability can also affect the timeline.

4. How do you maintain an ice rink?

To maintain an ice rink, regular resurfacing with a Zamboni or ice resurfacer is necessary to keep the ice smooth and free of debris. The ice may also need to be shaved down and repainted periodically to maintain the desired thickness and appearance. Temperature and humidity control is also important to prevent melting or cracking of the ice.

5. How much does it cost to build an ice rink?

The cost of building an ice rink can vary greatly depending on the size, location, and type of rink. A small backyard rink may only cost a few hundred dollars, while a professional rink can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. Factors such as materials, labor, and ongoing maintenance costs should also be considered when determining the overall cost.

Back