Division with Einstein summation convention

In summary, the conversation discussed a rank 2 tensor Aab and a vector ua, along with a scalar c. The goal was to find the value of c explicitly using the equation c = Aab / (ua ub). The conversation also touched on the use of matrix form and Einstein summation convention in relation to obtaining the value of c.
Powertravel

Homework Statement

I have the following equation

Aab= c ua ub

Where Aab is a rank 2 tensor and ua is a vector and c is a scalar and a,b = {0,1,2,3}. I know both Aab , ua and ua
I want to find c explicitly but I don't know how to interpret or calculate

c = Aab / ( ua ub )

Does anyone know how I should proceed?

Homework Equations

Aab= c ua ub
3. The Attempt at a Solution

c = Aab / ( ua ub )

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually [itex] A^{ab}=c u^a u^b [/itex], in matrix form becomes the following:

[itex]
A=c\left[ \begin{array}{ccc} u^1 u^1 \quad u^1 u^2 \quad u^1 u^3 \\ u^2 u^1 \quad u^2 u^2 \quad u^2 u^3 \\ u^3 u^1 \quad u^3 u^2 \quad u^3 u^3 \end{array} \right]
[/itex].

Now if you write [itex] A^{ab} [/itex] in its matrix form too, you will find your answer.

Thank you. I got tunnel vision on getting getting some sort of contraction going. Just to be clear, did you mean that I can get c by
c = A00 / (u0)2 = A11 / (u1)2 = ... etc?
Is it even possible to evaluate Aab / (ua ub)?

Powertravel said:
Thank you. I got tunnel vision on getting getting some sort of contraction going. Just to be clear, did you mean that I can get c by
c = A00 / (u0)2 = A11 / (u1)2 = ... etc?
Is it even possible to evaluate Aab / (ua ub)?
Yeah, that's correct.
But your last sentence tells me that you don't know enough about what you're doing. [itex] A^{ab} [/itex] is not a tensor, its only the (a,b) component of the tensor A. So [itex] A^{ab} [/itex] is only a number. When you work with tensors like that, you're working in the component notation. So [itex] c=\frac{A^{ab}}{u^a u^b} [/itex] is just the division of two real numbers and nothing more. Also it has nothing to do with Einstein summation convention. But I can tell you how it can be related. At first we should bring down one of the indices so that we have one index up and one index down to sum over. Then we should contract the indices:
[itex] A^{ab}=cu^a u^b \Rightarrow g_{ca}A^{ab}=c g_{ca} u^a u^b \Rightarrow A_c^{\ b}=c u_c u^b \Rightarrow A_b^{\ b}=c u_b u^b \Rightarrow c=\frac{A_b^{\ b}}{u_b u^b}[/itex]
Now [itex] A_b^{\ b} [/itex] and [itex] u_b u^b [/itex] are just numbers, not components of a tensor.

That's a neat trick and clears up a lot of confusion I have. Thank you for the help.

Related to Division with Einstein summation convention

1. What is the Einstein summation convention?

The Einstein summation convention is a mathematical notation used to simplify expressions involving summation over indices. It is commonly used in physics and engineering disciplines and is named after the famous physicist Albert Einstein.

2. How is division performed with the Einstein summation convention?

Division with the Einstein summation convention follows the same rules as traditional division. The numerator and denominator are written as summations with repeated indices, and the summation is performed over all possible values of that index. The resulting expression is then simplified using the convention.

3. What is the benefit of using the Einstein summation convention in division?

The Einstein summation convention allows for complex mathematical expressions involving division to be written in a more compact and efficient form. This notation also makes it easier to perform calculations and manipulate equations, especially when dealing with large matrices or tensors.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Einstein summation convention in division?

While the Einstein summation convention is a powerful tool in simplifying mathematical expressions, it does have some limitations. It is not always applicable to every type of division, such as when dealing with non-commutative operations or when dealing with divergent series.

5. Can the Einstein summation convention be used in other mathematical operations besides division?

Yes, the Einstein summation convention can be used in a variety of mathematical operations, including multiplication, addition, and subtraction. It is commonly used in tensor calculus, differential geometry, and other fields of mathematics and physics.