Distinction between observable and unobservable universe

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the universe and its observable and non-observable parts. The question of whether inflation and the initial size of the universe apply to the total universe or just the observable part is raised. The conversation also touches on the use of phrases like "initial size of the universe" and the difficulty in understanding the concept of "everywhere" in terms of the universe's size. The concept of singularities and their relation to the size and dimensions of the universe is also discussed.
Chiclayo guy
I know that when we talk about ‘the universe’ we’re normally referring to the observable universe. It is my understanding that the universe is 'one thing’, the only distinction being that part is visible and part is not, yet occasionally when the subjects of size and inflation are discussed comments are worded such that I have the impression that the observable universe is being treated as a separate entity existing in but independent of the total. Just so I am clear, when we talk about inflation and the initial size of the universe are we saying those concepts apply to the total universe (whatever that means) or just the observable?

Space news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but yes inflation deals with the actual size of the universe. It doesn't include anything *outside* the universe.

Chiclayo guy said:
I know that when we talk about ‘the universe’ we’re normally referring to the observable universe.
Not true.

Chiclayo guy said:
Just so I am clear, when we talk about inflation and the initial size of the universe are we saying those concepts apply to the total universe (whatever that means) or just the observable?
Phrases like "initial size of the universe" are typical in popularizations. Physicists would not typically use a phrase like that.

bcrowell said:
Not true.Phrases like "initial size of the universe" are typical in popularizations. Physicists would not typically use a phrase like that.

How discouraging…I thought my question was crystal clear. Let me take another run at it.

The universe is possibly infinite. Did/does inflation/expansion apply to the entire (I don’t know how else to phrase it) infinite universe?

What phrases do physicists use to describe the initial size of the universe? I’ve seen terms such as smaller than an electron, golf ball and grapefruit used on this very forum, but I’ve also seen that the BB happened “everywhere”. Does that mean everywhere within the grapefruit? It’s difficult for a layman, at least for me to make sense of that.

Chiclayo guy said:
universe is possibly infinite
Not likely, since there is a finite rate of expansion. It's very big, but probably not infinite.

Chiclayo guy said:
BB happened “everywhere”
The big bang happened everywhere, because it's not the material in the universe expanding, it's space itself. It wasn't just a dense ball of matter floating in large empty space.
The actual available space in the universe was once the size of a golf ball. This space has since expanded, and so you can say the big bang happened everywhere, since it's technically true.

Chiclayo guy said:
The universe is possibly infinite. Did/does inflation/expansion apply to the entire (I don’t know how else to phrase it) infinite universe?
Yes. (Inflation is irrelevant here. We don't even know for sure that inflation happened.)

Chiclayo guy said:
What phrases do physicists use to describe the initial size of the universe? I’ve seen terms such as smaller than an electron, golf ball and grapefruit used on this very forum, but I’ve also seen that the BB happened “everywhere”. Does that mean everywhere within the grapefruit? It’s difficult for a layman, at least for me to make sense of that.
Typically they would say that the cosmological scale factor had increased by a factor of x from a certain time in the past up to the present.

You can't talk about the initial size for two reasons: (1) the universe may be infinite, and (2) the cosmological scale factor was initially zero.

I think OP might be confusing inflation with expansion.

DuckAmuck said:
Not likely, since there is a finite rate of expansion. It's very big, but probably not infinite.
This is irrelevant. The universe can perfectly well be infinite with a finite rate of expansion. In those situations, the universe was always infinite in extent.

Chiclayo guy said:
It is my understanding that the universe is 'one thing’,

In that context, 'the [whole] universe' is everything...there is nothing 'outside' the whole. You can't look back inside.

Chiclayo guy said:
when we talk about inflation and the initial size of the universe are we saying those concepts apply to the total universe.

Inflation applies to the total/whole universe;
'initial size' has little if any meaning:

bcrowell said:
Phrases like "initial size of the universe" are typical in popularizations. Physicists would not typically use a phrase like that.

If you look at the illustration here,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang#Overview

it starts from a single 'point' in the illustration. What popularizations may discuss is that one geometric point of origin, but it is from every such 'point', finite or infinite in number, that inflation takes place and from which the seeds of our universe appear. The origin of our universe appears to be a point time rather than a point in space.

alw34 said:
If you look at the illustration here,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang#Overview

it starts from a single 'point' in the illustration. What popularizations may discuss is that one geometric point of origin, but it is from every such 'point', finite or infinite in number, that inflation takes place and from which the seeds of our universe appear. The origin of our universe appears to be a point time rather than a point in space.

The standard formulation in general relativity is not to describe singularities as points or sets of points. In particular, GR doesn't give any straightforward answers to questions about the size of a singularity, or even how many dimensions it has. Size and dimensionality are things that are defined for point-sets.

What we can say is that the cosmological scale factor approaches zero as time approaches the time of the big bang.

Orodruin said:
This is irrelevant. The universe can perfectly well be infinite with a finite rate of expansion. In those situations, the universe was always infinite in extent.

Sure, but if the universe were infinite with a finite rate of expansion, then this would imply infinite size from the beginning, or a jump from finite to infinite at some point.
If it began with finite size and has always had a finite expansion rate, it must be finite.

DuckAmuck said:
Sure, but if the universe were infinite with a finite rate of expansion, then this would imply infinite size from the beginning, or a jump from finite to infinite at some point.
If it began with finite size and has always had a finite expansion rate, it must be finite.

GR predicts that if the universe is spatially finite now, then it has always been spatially finite. If it's spatially infinite now, then it's always been so.

Before going too far in this dialog between you and Orodruin on this point, are you sure you're both using the same definition of "rate of expansion?" Are we all talking about ##\dot{a}/a##?

Related to Distinction between observable and unobservable universe

1. What is the difference between the observable and unobservable universe?

The observable universe refers to the part of the universe that we are able to see and detect using telescopes or other instruments. It includes all the matter and energy that is within our current observable horizon. On the other hand, the unobservable universe is the part of the universe that is beyond our current observable horizon. This means that we cannot see or detect anything beyond a certain distance, even though it may exist.

2. How do scientists determine the size of the observable universe?

Scientists use a variety of methods to estimate the size of the observable universe. One way is by measuring the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the leftover radiation from the Big Bang. By analyzing this radiation, scientists can estimate the size of the observable universe to be about 93 billion light-years in diameter.

3. Why is the unobservable universe important in scientific research?

The unobservable universe is important because it helps scientists understand the origins and evolution of the observable universe. By studying the unobservable universe, scientists can make predictions about the behavior of matter and energy and test them against observations of the observable universe. This allows for a better understanding of the universe as a whole.

4. Is there a limit to how much of the universe we can observe?

Yes, there is a limit to how much of the universe we can observe. This is due to the expansion of the universe, which causes distant galaxies to move away from us faster than the speed of light. This means that there is a point beyond which light cannot reach us, making it impossible for us to observe anything beyond that point.

5. Can the unobservable universe ever become observable?

It is possible for the unobservable universe to become observable in the future. This could happen if the expansion of the universe slows down or if new technologies are developed that allow us to observe beyond the current limit. However, it is also possible that the unobservable universe will always remain beyond our reach.