Distance of a satellite from the earths surface.

In summary, the conversation discusses using Kepler's Laws to find the distance of a television satellite from the Earth's surface, without knowing the mass of each object. It suggests using the formula GMm/r^2 = ω^2r and converting the period of 24 hours into radians/sec.
pwphysics101
1. A television satellite is in circular orbit about the Earth, with a sidereal period of exactly 24h. What is the distance from the Earths surface?

2. I think I have to use Kepler's Laws. Confused as to how to do it without the mass of each. I guess I could find out the mass of the Earth but then..? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
pwphysics101 said:
1. A television satellite is in circular orbit about the Earth, with a sidereal period of exactly 24h. What is the distance from the Earths surface?

2. I think I have to use Kepler's Laws. Confused as to how to do it without the mass of each. I guess I could find out the mass of the Earth but then..? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

GMm/r2 = ω2r

GM/r = ω2

You know G and M (or can look them up)

ω is the angular velocity. If the period is 24 hours then you know 24 hours is the amount of time it takes for the satellite to travel 2∏ radians. You should probably convert that into radians/sec

Thanks! :)

Related to Distance of a satellite from the earths surface.

1. What is the average distance of a satellite from the Earth's surface?

The average distance of a satellite from the Earth's surface is approximately 22,236 miles (35,786 kilometers).

2. How is the distance of a satellite calculated?

The distance of a satellite from the Earth's surface is calculated using the satellite's altitude, or distance above the Earth's surface, and its speed. This is known as the satellite's orbital radius.

3. Does the distance of a satellite from the Earth's surface affect its orbit?

Yes, the distance of a satellite from the Earth's surface directly affects its orbit. A higher altitude will result in a larger orbital radius and a longer orbital period, while a lower altitude will result in a smaller orbital radius and a shorter orbital period.

4. How does the distance of a satellite from the Earth's surface impact its communication abilities?

The distance of a satellite from the Earth's surface does not necessarily impact its communication abilities. Satellites in geostationary orbit, which have a fixed position above the Earth's equator, are able to maintain a constant line of sight with ground stations. However, satellites in lower orbits may experience communication disruptions due to Earth's curvature or interference from other objects in space.

5. Can the distance of a satellite from the Earth's surface change over time?

Yes, the distance of a satellite from the Earth's surface is not fixed and can change over time. This can occur due to factors such as atmospheric drag, gravitational pull from other celestial bodies, or intentional orbit adjustments by ground control.