Discrete math, defining an operator

So, for example, (x*y)*z means we first find x*y, then use that result with z, so if x=3, y=4, and z=5, we find that (3*4)*5= (12)*5= 60, and x*(y*z) is x*(20)= 3*20= 60, the same thing.
James889
Hi,
I have some troubles with this question.

Define an operator * on [tex]R[/tex] by

[tex]x*y = 2xy -x -y +1[/tex]

a) is * commutative?
b) is * associative?

I can easily see that * is commutative, but how do i test for associativity?

The rule states that (x*y)*z = x*(y*z)

But what is z ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For associativity, you should look at both sides of the equation you listed ((x*y)*z = x*(y*z)) and use your rule to expand. For your associativity condition, z is any third element of R, as both x and y must be. So if you're asked to do y*z, then you fill in y and z in the place of x and y in your rule. Then check to see if you get the same thing on both sides.

[tex] (x \ast y) \ast z [/tex] refers to the expression you get by first computing [tex] x \ast y = 2xy -x -y - 1 [/tex], then calculating [tex] (2xy - x -y -1) \ast z [/tex] - z is another real number.

statdad said:
[tex] (x \ast y) \ast z [/tex] refers to the expression you get by first computing [tex] x \ast y = 2xy -x -y - 1 [/tex], then calculating [tex] (2xy - x -y -1) \ast z [/tex] - z is another real number.
Hi,

[tex](x \ast y) \ast z = (2xy -x -y +1)z \astz \longrightarrow (2xyz -xz -yz +z)[/tex]

Now i have to test for the expression [tex]x \ast (y \ast z)[/tex]

But how do i do that when the operator is defined for x and y ?

More precisely, i don't know what [tex](y \ast z) is[/tex]

Last edited:
The rule for * has been given, so the question is simply
compute
(x*y)*z-x*(y*z)
and see if it is zero
your operator is defined for all x and y in particular
y*z=2yz-y-z+1

lurflurf said:
The rule for * has been given, so the question is simply
compute
(x*y)*z-x*(y*z)
and see if it is zero
your operator is defined for all x and y in particular
y*z=2yz-y-z+1

Thanks, i think i understand. Is this correct?:

[tex](x \ast y) = 2xy -x -y +1 [/tex]

[tex](x \ast y)\ast z = 2(2xy -x -y +1)z -2xy -x -y -z +1[/tex]

[tex]= 4xyz -2xy -2xz +x -2yz -y -z +2[/tex]

[tex](y \ast z) = 2yz - y -z +1[/tex]

[tex]x \ast(y \ast z) = 2x(2yz -y -z +1) -x -2yz -y -z +2 = 4xyz -2xy -2xz +x -2yz -y -z +2[/tex]

They are equal

Yes, that is correct.

Referring to your earlier question, "But how do i do that when the operator is defined for x and y ?" or basically, "how do I combine three things with a binary operator?" The answer was "do them two at a time". To find (x*y)*z, first you find x*y then you treat that result as a single "object" with z. To find x*(y*z) you first find y*z and treat that as a single object with z. The whole point of the "associative law", (x*y)*z= x*(y*z), is that we can do it either way and so don't really need the parentheses: we could write x*y*z to mean either (x*y)*z or x*(y*z) and get the same answer. And, we can extend that to any number of objects, writing u*v*w*x*y*z, just like we do with sums or products of numbers!

Related to Discrete math, defining an operator

1. What is discrete math?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete objects, such as integers, graphs, and statements that are either true or false. It is used in many fields, including computer science, engineering, and economics.

2. What is an operator in discrete math?

In discrete math, an operator is a symbol or function that performs an operation on one or more operands. Examples of operators include addition, subtraction, and logical operators such as AND and OR.

3. How is an operator defined in discrete math?

In discrete math, an operator is defined using a function or rule that specifies how it operates on its operands. This can be represented using mathematical notation or in a truth table.

4. What is the difference between a unary and binary operator in discrete math?

A unary operator in discrete math takes only one operand, while a binary operator takes two operands. For example, the negation operator (-) is unary, while the addition operator (+) is binary.

5. How is an operator used in discrete math?

Operators in discrete math are used to perform operations on discrete objects, such as numbers or logical statements. They can be used to manipulate data, solve problems, and prove theorems.