Directional Derivative and Gradient Problem

In summary, the conversation discussed how to find the direction of the vector along which an object is moving in a space V. The solution involves differentiating a parametric function of one variable, finding the velocity vector, and then finding the direction vector by dividing the components by the magnitude of the velocity vector. Trigonometry may also be used to find the spherical angle directions.
aaron27
Suppose that an object is moving in a space V, so that its position at time t is
given by r=(x,y,z)= (3sin πt, t^2, 1+t)

How to find the direction of the vector along which the cat is moving
at t = 1?

I have no idea where to find out the direction of the vector along which the object is moving.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems like you wouldn't even need to use the gradient or a directional derivative to do this. If you took AB/BC Calc you might remember how to differentiate a parametric function of one variable, you can do that and then you'll get that velocity vector, from there the direction should fall straight out (directly if all you need is a direction vector, and with a little bit of trigonometry if you want angles).

If you need help, remember that ##\frac{d}{dt}r(t)= (x(t),y(t),(z(t)) \Rightarrow (\frac{d}{dt}x(t),\frac{d}{dt}y(t),\frac{d}{dt}z(t))##

Last edited:
By differentiating them with respect to t, I should get the velocity vector (x,y,z) = (3 π cos π t, 2t , 1). Then substitute t = 1, (x,y,z) = (-3π, 2, 1).
This is my velocity vector. So how I get the director of the vector when t=1?

As I said, it depends on what you mean by direction. When my professor asks for a direction, he means a direction vector; a.k.a. a unit vector in the direction of the velocity vector. Remember this is accomplished by dividing all three components by the magnitude (length) of the vector, which you find through the pythagorean theorem.

If you want actual spherical angle directions, you'll have to work through the trig.

Sorry, my mistake.:smile:
So if I am looking for direction vector, I just get this (-3π, 2, 1)/(magnitude of this vector (-3π, 2, 1)) where (-3π, 2, 1)=the velocity vector?

Yes, and the magnitude will be ##\sqrt{(-3\pi)^2+4+1}##.

Understood, thank you very much :smile:

thank you... very helpful!

Related to Directional Derivative and Gradient Problem

1. What is a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is a measure of the rate of change of a function in a specific direction. It tells us how much the function changes as we move in a particular direction, relative to the starting point.

2. How is a directional derivative calculated?

A directional derivative can be calculated using the gradient of the function and a unit vector in the desired direction. The formula is:
∇f(x,y) · u = ||∇f(x,y)|| * ||u|| * cos(θ)
where ∇f(x,y) is the gradient, u is the unit vector, and θ is the angle between them.

3. What is the relationship between the gradient and the directional derivative?

The gradient is a vector that points in the direction of the steepest increase of the function at a given point. The directional derivative, on the other hand, tells us the rate of change of the function in a specific direction. The gradient is used to calculate the directional derivative.

4. What is the significance of directional derivatives in real-world applications?

Directional derivatives are important in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to find the direction in which a function changes the most, which can help in optimizing processes and making predictions.

5. Can a directional derivative have a negative value?

Yes, a directional derivative can have a negative value. This indicates that the function is decreasing in the given direction. A positive value indicates that the function is increasing in that direction.