Direct Comparison Test - Improper Integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses using the direct comparison test to prove the convergence of integrals involving cosine and logarithmic functions. The main problem is choosing a suitable smaller function to compare with. The conversation suggests using the boundedness of cosine and logarithmic functions to find a greater function. The solution involves finding integrands that bound the original integrand and showing their convergence.
SirPlus
1. Homework Statement [/b]

Use the direct comparison test to show that the following are convergent:

(a)[itex]\int_1^∞[/itex] [itex]\frac{cos x\,dx}{x^2}[/itex]

I don't know how to choose a smaller function that converges similar to the one above. The main problem is i don't know where to start.

A simple one that i could solve is : (b)[itex]\int_0^∞[/itex] [itex] \frac{1\,dx}{e^x + 1}[/itex] where a similar function(yet greater) is --> (c)[itex]\int_0^∞[/itex][itex] \frac{1\,dx}{e^x}[/itex] that converges to 1.

Problem :
If cosines and logs come into the integral - i get confused. What do i do?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why not choose

[tex] \int_1^{\infty} \frac{-2}{x^2}\ \mbox{d}x [/tex]

SirPlus said:
1. Homework Statement [/b]

Use the direct comparison test to show that the following are convergent:

(a)[itex]\int_1^∞[/itex] [itex]\frac{cos x\,dx}{x^2}[/itex]

I don't know how to choose a smaller function that converges similar to the one above. The main problem is i don't know where to start.
You want to find a greater function if you want to prove convergence.

When you have cosines and sines, you typically want to use the fact that cosine and sine are bounded. That is, ##-1 \le \cos x \le 1##.

So how do i solve (a), where do i begin?

Ah, I should've left out the minus sign!

I am very confused. These answers seem to be going in the wrong direction. If the integrand is sometimes negative, the partial sums could be negative increasing without bound.

To me, this is straight forward: find integrands that bound the integrand and show that those integrands converge.

It converges absolutely compare to x^-2
cos(x)/x is a bit harder as it converges conditionally.

Related to Direct Comparison Test - Improper Integrals

1. What is the Direct Comparison Test for Improper Integrals?

The Direct Comparison Test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of an improper integral by comparing it to another integral that is known to converge or diverge. It is often used when the original integral is difficult to evaluate directly.

2. How is the Direct Comparison Test used?

To use the Direct Comparison Test, we compare the integrand of the original integral to the integrand of the known integral. If the integrands are similar, we can make a conclusion about the convergence or divergence of the original integral based on the known integral.

3. What are the conditions for using the Direct Comparison Test?

The conditions for the Direct Comparison Test are that both integrals must have non-negative integrands, and the integrands of both integrals must be continuous on the interval of integration. Additionally, the known integral must converge or diverge.

4. Can the Direct Comparison Test be used for both improper integrals with infinite limits and those with discontinuous integrands?

Yes, the Direct Comparison Test can be used for both types of improper integrals. However, when using it for integrals with infinite limits, we must also consider the behavior of the integrands as the limits approach infinity.

5. What is the difference between the Direct Comparison Test and the Limit Comparison Test?

The Direct Comparison Test compares the integrand of the original integral to the integrand of a known integral, while the Limit Comparison Test compares the ratio of the integrands of both integrals. Additionally, the Limit Comparison Test can be used even when the known integral does not converge or diverge, as long as its integrand is positive and continuous.