Dimensional Analysis & Buckingham Pi Theory

In summary, this little book is just what you want: a concise introduction to dimensional analysis techniques, and a refresher course on Lie's method of finding exact solutions to systems of ordinary differential equations. If that tickles your fancy, you should go on to read about Noether's theorem relating symmetries to conserved quantities in dynamics.
Geoff Serpells
What can "Dimensional Analysis Techniques & Buckingham Pi Theory" be used for?

GS

Engineering news on Phys.org
That is the basis for being able to scale experiments so that something like a wind tunnel model of a skyscraper doesn't have to be full scale.

Can it be applied to Particle-Physics?

Why?

Please have a look at the follwing link. The manuscript has been published in a peer reviewed journal:
http://www.deltagroupengineering.com/Docs/EGM_1.pdf

This then leads to a "quais-unification" of Particle-Physics & Cosmology:
http://www.deltagroupengineering.com/Docs/EGM_Harmonic_Representation_of_Fundamental_Particles.pdf
http://www.deltagroupengineering.com/Docs/Cosmos.pdf

Yet, the Physics community seems to have real problems with anything derived by DA & BPT. In-fact, they don't even seem to know about it. Even though the experimentally verified results presented by the author are vastly superior to anything presented by the Standard Model of Particle-Physics or Cosmology.

Why?

GS

Last edited by a moderator:
Geoff Serpells said:
This then leads to a "quais-unification" of Particle-Physics & Cosmology:
http://www.deltagroupengineering.com/Docs/EGM_Harmonic_Representation_of_Fundamental_Particles.pdf
http://www.deltagroupengineering.com/Docs/Cosmos.pdf
Could you provide a citation of this latter paper in a peer reviewed journal?

Last edited by a moderator:
I "think" its in "Physics Essays". They seem to have a very good editorial board.

If you go to the back of the particle paper link I quoted, you should see it there.

GS

Geoff Serpells said:
I "think" its in "Physics Essays". They seem to have a very good editorial board.

If you go to the back of the particle paper link I quoted, you should see it there.

GS

I'm afraid that's not how this works-- *you* provided the article, therefore *you* should provide the reader with a citation to a peer-reviewed journal. Also, I have never heard of "physics essays"-- I wonder whether there is anyone reading this who can confirm how reliable this journal is?

Last edited:
I see your point. Here's the link to "Physics Essays" if you're interested:
http://www.physicsessays.com/

The editorial board doesn't look to silly to me.

Forgot something ... also, what happens when chapters of a book have been peer reviewed?

That is, how does one deal with the citations then?

GS

Last edited:
Looking at the website there seem to be two different definitions of "peer review". One is used by "Physics Essays", the other one is used by everybody else.

In everybody else's version, stuff doesn't get published until the reviewers are happy with it. The "Physics Essays" system where the author can just ignore what the reviewers suggested, and publish in the journal or present at a conference without changing anything, doesn't apply.

I don't understand the question about citations in books. Citations are references to what has already been published. The content doesn't change after it has been published (not outside of "Phys. Essays", anyway) so citations never change. If you have new ideas on a subject, you publish a new paper, you don't edit the old one.

If you publish a new edition of a book, citations will state the edition, the publisher, and the publication date, so there's no confusion about which version is being referenced.

Last edited:
Hmm...you guys scared him off. The whole peer reviewed part always seems to get them.

Back to the question raised...does anyone know of a reason why dimensional analysis can not be applied to particle physics? I know Zapper is on vacation. Anyone else care to chime in? I am curious now.

A book which answers your question!

Hi, Geoff

Geoff Serpells said:
What can "Dimensional Analysis Techniques & Buckingham Pi Theory" be used for?

This little book is just what you want:

Hans G. Hornung, Dimensional Analysis: Examples of the Use of Symmetry, Dover, 2006.

If that tickles your fancy, you should go on to read about Lie's method of finding exact solutions to (systems of) ordinary (partial) (nonlinear) differential equations via symmetry. This turns out to generalize dimensional analysis, and to subsume virtually every technique for solving a DE you are likely to have encountered in school. If you've heard of Noether's theorem relating symmetries to conserved quantities in dynamics, that also has a lovely and powerful expression in this context (indeed, Noether's own statement was far more powerful than the one most often taught to physics students).

(Oh fudge... I sure get sick of saying this, but Geoff, reading on, I see that someone very enthusiastically mentioned a typical "electrogravity" crank site It's amazing how many of these exist...)

Last edited:

Related to Dimensional Analysis & Buckingham Pi Theory

1. What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical method used to analyze and understand physical phenomena by examining the dimensions of the variables involved. It involves breaking down complex equations into simpler terms based on their fundamental dimensions (such as length, mass, time, etc.) and using this information to derive relationships between variables.

2. What is Buckingham Pi theory?

Buckingham Pi theory, also known as the Buckingham Pi theorem, is a mathematical theorem that states that if a physical problem involves 'n' variables and 'k' fundamental dimensions, then the problem can be reduced to a dimensionless equation with 'n-k' dimensionless parameters. This allows us to simplify complex equations and better understand the relationships between variables in a system.

3. Why is dimensional analysis important in science?

Dimensional analysis is important in science because it allows us to understand and analyze complex physical phenomena in a more systematic and structured way. It also helps us to identify important variables and relationships in a system, and can be used to check the validity of mathematical equations. Additionally, dimensional analysis is useful in converting between different units and can aid in solving problems in various fields of science and engineering.

4. What are some real-world applications of dimensional analysis and Buckingham Pi theory?

Dimensional analysis and Buckingham Pi theory have many applications in various scientific fields. They are commonly used in fluid mechanics, heat transfer, electrical circuits, and chemical reactions. They are also used in the design of experiments and in developing mathematical models for physical systems. Additionally, they are useful in predicting the behavior of physical systems and in designing experiments to test hypotheses.

5. Are there any limitations to dimensional analysis and Buckingham Pi theory?

While dimensional analysis and Buckingham Pi theory are powerful tools in understanding physical phenomena, they do have some limitations. They are most effective in systems where all variables can be expressed in terms of fundamental dimensions, and they may not be applicable in more complex systems with multiple or changing dimensions. Additionally, these methods may not account for all factors affecting a system, and they may not be able to predict the behavior of a system accurately in all cases.