Difficult Integral: Evaluating the Limits

In summary, when evaluating the integral {{\int_{0}^{\infty}}{\frac{{R_{0}}ds}{\left({{s}^{2}+{R_{0}}^{2}\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}}}}, it is important to use proper notation and techniques when dealing with infinite limits. This includes using limits and adjusting the domain of integration. By properly taking the limit as the upper bound approaches infinity, the integral can be evaluated to be 1/R_0.
PFStudent

Homework Statement

Ok, I am evaluating the following integral,

[tex]
{{\int_{0}^{\infty}}{\frac{{R_{0}}ds}{\left({{s}^{2}+{R_{0}}^{2}\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}}}}
[/tex]

Following through with trigonometric substitution I have the following,

[tex]
{\left[{{{\frac{1}{R_{0}}}{\cdot}{\frac{s}{(s^2+{R_{0}}^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}}}\right]_{0}^{\infty}}}
[/tex]

However, I am not quite sure what the result will be when I evaluate the integral.

Homework Equations

Trigonometric Substitution Techniques for evaluating Integrals.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
{\left[{{{\frac{1}{R_{0}}}{\cdot}{\frac{(\infty)}{({(\infty)}^2+{R_{0}}^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}}}}\right]-{\left[{{{\frac{1}{R_{0}}}{\cdot}{\frac{(0)}{({(0)}^2+{R_{0}}^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}}}}\right]
[/tex]

[tex]
{\left[{{{\frac{1}{R_{0}}}{\cdot}{\frac{(\infty)}{({(\infty)}^2+{R_{0}}^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}}}}\right]-{\left[0\right]}\right]
[/tex]

However, how I am supposed to reduce the expression with the value of infinity plugged in, how would I reduce that expression?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PFStudent said:

Homework Statement

Ok, I am evaluating the following integral,

[tex]
{{\int_{0}^{\infty}}{\frac{{R_{0}}ds}{\left({{s}^{2}+{R_{0}}^{2}\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}}}}
[/tex]

And have gotten it reduced to the following through trigonometric substitution.

[tex]
{\left[{{{\frac{1}{R_{0}}}{\cdot}{\frac{s}{(s^2+{R_{0}}^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}}\right]_{0}^{\infty}}}
[/tex]

However, I am not quite sure what the result will be when I evaluate the integral.

Homework Equations

Trigonometric Substitution Techniques for evaluating Integrals.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
{\left[{{{\frac{1}{R_{0}}}{\cdot}{\frac{(\infty)}{({(\infty)}^2+{R_{0}}^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}}}\right]-{\left[{{{\frac{1}{R_{0}}}{\cdot}{\frac{(0)}{({(0)}^2+{R_{0}}^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}}}\right]
[/tex]

[tex]
{\left[{{{\frac{1}{R_{0}}}{\cdot}{\frac{(\infty)}{({(\infty)}^2+{R_{0}}^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}}}\right]-{\left[0\right]}\right]
[/tex]

However, I do not know how I am supposed to reduce the expression with the value of infinity plugged in, how would I reduce the expression?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

-PFStudent
Are you sure you got the right result!? Did you check that if you differentiate you get back the integrand??

(the limit will be zero since it goes to s/s^3 = 1/s^2 = 0 for large s)

Hey,

nrqed said:
Are you sure you got the right result!? Did you check that if you differentiate you get back the integrand??

(the limit will be zero since it goes to s/s^3 = 1/s^2 = 0 for large s)

Thanks, for the quick reply. Actually my power for the denominator was incorrect, instead of [tex]{\frac{3}{2}}[/tex] it should have been, [tex]{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex].

Yea.., I'm still not sure about what to do about that expression with infinity in it.

Thanks,

-PFStudent

I Would first start by taking Out the constant and telling us the actual substitution you used!

Hey,

Gib Z said:
I Would first start by taking Out the constant and telling us the actual substitution you used!

Thanks for the reply, Gib Z. When you refer to the "actual substitution," are you referring to the substitution used to integrate or used to evaluated the integral at the listed limits?

If you are referring to the actual integration, the integral can be evaluated by first normalizing the binomial and then letting,

[tex]
{tan\theta} = {\frac{s}{R_{0}}}
[/tex]

From, here the integration should be pretty straight forward.

If you are referring to the substitution used to evaluate the integral, then it as stated before,

[tex]
{\left[{{{\frac{1}{R_{0}}}{\cdot}{\frac{s}{(s^2+{R_{0}}^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}}}\right]_{0}^{\infty}}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{\left[{{{\frac{1}{R_{0}}}{\cdot}{\frac{(\infty)}{({(\infty)}^2+{R_{0}}^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}}}}\right]-{\left[{{{\frac{1}{R_{0}}}{\cdot}{\frac{(0)}{({(0)}^2+{R_{0}}^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}}}}\right]
[/tex]

Also, after looking over this problem for a while...--am I correct to say that since,

[tex]
{\infty}>>{R_{0}}
[/tex]

Then, the [tex]{{R_{0}}^{2}}[/tex] term can be neglected, leaving me with,

[tex]
{\left[{{{\frac{1}{R_{0}}}{\cdot}{\frac{(\infty)}{({(\infty)}^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}}}}}\right]}
[/tex]

Which reduces to,

[tex]
{\frac{1}{R_{0}}}{\left(1\right)}
[/tex]

[tex]
{\frac{1}{R_{0}}}
[/tex]

Is that right?

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Last edited:
For a rigorous solution, avoid "plugging" in infinity. Infinity is a concept, not a number. You can't "plug" it into a variable and compute with it without being careful with indeterminate forms. You are trying to use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus (FTC), but that theorem only applies to finite domains (i.e. non-infinite intervals). To get around that, you would use limits (which also answers your question regarding [tex]\infty >> R_0[/tex]. This may seem picky, but you should practice being precise with your writeup. Since the (FTC) requires finite domains, just integrate from 0 to some finite upper limit b, and then let b go to infinity.

[tex]
\int_0^\infty \frac{R_0}{(s^2+R_0^2)^{3/2}}\ ds = \displaystyle \lim_{b\to \infty}
\int_0^b \frac{R_0}{(s^2+R_0^2)^{3/2}}\ ds
= \lim_{b\to \infty} \left[ \frac{1}{R_0} \cdot \frac{s}{\sqrt{s^2+R_0^2}} \right]_0^b
[/tex]
[tex] = \lim_{b\to \infty} \left[ \frac{1}{R_0} \cdot \frac{b}{\sqrt{b^2+R_0^2}}
- \frac{1}{R_0} \cdot \frac{0}{\sqrt{0+R^2}} \right]
= \lim_{b\to \infty} \frac{b}{R_0\sqrt{b^2+R_0^2}} = \frac{1}{R_0}
[/tex]

The last equality can be achieved using basic methods for computing limits.

Improper integral

The type of integral you are evaluating is called in improper integral (which includes integrals with infinite limits and integrals whose function is discontinuous within the limits of integration). You cannot apply the FTC directly, but you can get around the problems by adjusting your domains, and then taking appropriate limits. This method is thoroughly (or should be) described in any decent calculus text.

Related to Difficult Integral: Evaluating the Limits

What is a difficult integral?

A difficult integral is an integration problem that is challenging to solve due to its complexity, either in terms of the function being integrated or the limits of integration.

Why are difficult integrals important?

Difficult integrals are important because they allow us to solve real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They also help us understand the behavior of functions and their relationships.

How do you evaluate the limits of a difficult integral?

The limits of a difficult integral can be evaluated using various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric substitutions. It may also require the use of advanced methods such as contour integration or series expansions.

What are some common mistakes when evaluating limits of difficult integrals?

Some common mistakes when evaluating limits of difficult integrals include forgetting to use the chain rule or substitution correctly, incorrect application of integration by parts, and forgetting to consider the constant of integration.

What are some tips for solving difficult integrals?

Here are some tips for solving difficult integrals:

• Always check if the integrand can be simplified or rewritten in a more manageable form.
  • Use algebraic and trigonometric identities to simplify the integrand.
  • Try different techniques and methods to see which one works best for the specific integral.
  • Be patient and pay attention to detail. Small mistakes can lead to incorrect solutions.
  • Practice regularly to improve your problem-solving skills.